Reply To: Good projector?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Good projector? Reply To: Good projector?

David
Participant

I´m sorry I kept you waiting over the weekend.
As far as i can see the MW632ST you linked is just as expensive as the recommended MX631ST and its 16:10.
Going by the name and the datasheets they seem to be pretty much identical otherwise (comparison).
For the throw calculation you can use pretty much any online projector calculator as they all use the same projection angle and min/max distance data from the manufacturers official datasheets. As a matter of fact, you can just use sin(x) to figure it out yourself 😉
I have no idea which projectors can be bought cheaply where you live but generally focus more on the brightness (lumens) and the minimum projection distance and the according image size. Since the kinects resolution of 640 by 480 pixels is the limiting factor, projector resolution really does not matter as much. See the official instructions for further suggestions.
I do however have a few more tips for a budget build:
– Buy used (or ask around at schools, they tend to have older projectors the want to get rid off, usually plenty bright ones! Short throws will be rare though)
– do you really need water simulation? if not almost any old computer will do
– find someone with a workshop who is willing to support you. Tools are expensive and good equipment and experience will make the build so much easier and quicker
– perhaps reclaim wood, again, ask around if someone has some laying around from building a shed for example
– don´t use kinetic sand, its expensive and not really needed. Just buy regular playsand and get it a little wet if needed (cost us 4€ for 50kg). You might want to wash it first as it can be very dusty otherwise.
– perhaps find a sponsor (local computershop for example). The AR Sandbox looks cool and companies will want their name on it. Don’t forget to acknowledge the creators of the original project, KeckCAVES, and the government grant they got. Find the suggested plaque here

I hope that helps!
Sorry it took me so long to reply,
David

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by David.

Comments are closed.