Reply To: Model Export

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Model Export Reply To: Model Export

matthias
Participant

Thankfully, this thread was opened before I could even ask for the same thing.

I have now also been using LWOwriter to export 3D data. As I found, the arguments should rather read:

$ ./bin/LWOWriter <video stream base name> <output file name.lwo> <first exported frame> <last exported frame>

When entering two differing numbers, i.e. more than frame, the LWOWriter still only generates one single file, though. Would I have to specify more output file names, or does it average multiple frames into one file then (which doesn’t seem to be the case), or can it simply not generate more than one LWO per run?
No matter what frame numbers were given as argument, it will always prompt that it is processing all the frames, i.e. it starts at 1 and runs all the way through to the end of the stream.

The resulting mesh is very noisy, I guess because no averaging took place. I got a savvy friend interested in trying to use this code to run it over the saved streams before sending them to the LWOWriter. Any thoughts on that?

Wsgrah, what do your meshes look like? Could you post a pic of some results? Here is an example of a single frame LWOWriter export, imported in Blender and exported as .stl for import in Meshlab:

Look how bumpy and noisy the sandbox walls are. In reality, they are just flat boards 😉

I am currently experimenting on how to achieve the best possible results in gaining 3D data. Here’s what I am trying:
– LWOWriter, single frame export > smoothing in Meshlab
– LWOWriter, multiple frames export > merging/averaging in Meshlab
– (possibly, if my friend succeeds) Smoothing saved stream > LWOWriter
– external 3D scanning software (Skanect & ReconstructMe, running under Windows, requires moving the Kinect for best results)

Obviously, using 3D scanning software and moving the sensor will yield the best results. It kinda disrupts the workflow to switch OS, and remove the Kinect from its mount, though. That’s why I am looking for a viable solution within Linux, and without dismounting the Kinect.

What are the chances of having data export implemented in the Sandbox software itself, with watertightness and some averaging included?

Comments are closed.