Reply To: caught exceptions with RawKinectViewer and SARndbox

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum caught exceptions with RawKinectViewer and SARndbox Reply To: caught exceptions with RawKinectViewer and SARndbox

ninjaneerstudios
Participant

Good morning Everyone,

We were getting this MSG when trying to get our Kinect to work (model: 1414):

terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::runtime_error’
what(): Kinect::Camera::Camera: Less than 0 Kinect camera devices detected
Aborted

The light on the Kinect was blinking sporadically and would go off. The solution that worked for us was to go buy a PCI Express USB 3.0 Card that is also powered from your PSU. The problem is that your normal USB ports and the XBOX Kinect AC Adapter are not enough power. After this, VRui detects the kinect every time. We tried several more kinect’s just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.

I will list our setup below:

CPU: i7 Hasswell
GPU: 970 GTX CeForce Nvidia
PSU: 750W
HDD: 120gig SSD
RAM: 8 gig
MB: Asus Sabertooth z87 Motherboard
OS: Linux Mint with Mate (with all updates) I believe the new one is 17.2 codename Rafaela
USB 3.0 PCI Express Cars that can also be powered by the PSU
Xbox Kinect: Model# 1414

The card we bought is this one Insignia PCI Express USB 3.0 Card
Here is the link to copy and paste if the one above doesn’t work ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-port-usb-3-0-pci-express-interface-card-silver/5621006.p?id=1219144863553&skuId=5621006 ). We got it from Best Buy. If you look at the picture of the card, at the back of the card you’ll see where the power connector will plug in. It’s the same type of power plug that is/was used for the old floppy drives. The power connector should come in the box.

If you’re getting the same error msg as above, this should fix your issue. The green light on the front needs to be a constant, steady, green blinking light not a sporadic one that comes and goes. When we would type in the command to locate all connected USB devices, it would find only the Kinect motor, then motor and camera, then none and kept doing this until we installed this card. We had it running for more than 10min to make sure it didn’t drop out.

I think it needs 700mA or more, but don’t quote me.

Hope this helps, it did for us.

Joe R
Director
Ninjaneer Studios

Comments are closed.