Reply To: Hardware requirements

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Hardware requirements Reply To: Hardware requirements

Oliver Kreylos
Keymaster

The computing hardware requirements are not strict, per se. The AR Sandbox software runs fine on my vintage 2008 Macbook Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8600M) as long as there is little or no water (or water simulation is disabled entirely).

The problem is that the water simulation will run slow on low-end systems like that, which leads to noticeable and annoying choppyness when the water is agitated and moves quickly, even if only in some small areas. We found that GTX 770-level hardware is able to handle almost any circumstance without noticeable slow-downs.

The AR Sandbox is GPU-limited, meaning that the choice of main CPU is secondary. A lower-clock rate Core i7, or an i5, should cause no problems at all.

The water simulation method I implemented is conservative, meaning that it maintains physical accuracy at the expense of run-time. To be honest, that’s not an ideal choice for an application that requires interactive response and where accuracy is secondary to irrelevant, but that’s the way it is. An always-robust non-accurate simulation method like smooth particle hydrodynamics would be more appropriate, but that wouldn’t be usable for my other applications.

Comments are closed.