Reply To: Display updates intermittent

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Display updates intermittent Reply To: Display updates intermittent

Oliver Kreylos
Keymaster

Thanks for the detailed report. This seems to be a USB issue. RawKinectViewer, KinectViewer, CalibrateProjector, SARndbox all run in event mode, where they only force a screen update if a new image arrives from the Kinect. If the Kinect stops sending for some reason, the software won’t refresh the screen unless you move the mouse or press a key, which always forces a refresh.

Most laptops (including mine) have a lot more detailed power savings methods than what is exposed via the control GUIs. Most pertinently, they tend to put USB ports to sleep if they consider the computer “unused.” I think this is what’s happening. User doesn’t touch computer -> OS thinks it’s unused -> USB goes to sleep -> no more data from Kinect -> no more display updates -> mouse move forces screen refresh and wakes up OS and USB ports -> Kinect sends data again.

I’ll need to look into a fix.

3) If any button is pressed, right after launch, without clicking the mouse first, the program quits with an error

That’s unfortunately a known Vrui bug. After starting an application, first click the mouse inside its window before pressing any keys. It’s already fixed in the next version, but it isn’t out yet.

Comments are closed.