Adding static objects to the terrain

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Adding static objects to the terrain

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sritv60
    Participant

I want to add static objects(for example, a tree) to the terrain. Can anyone guide me as to how I should go about modeling such objects and then adding them to the terrain. Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We use props. 3D printed objects, or toys that we can add. The camera detects them, and adds height, so water flows around them, based on camera angle. It doesn’t do well with the steep slopes, so you have to keep in mind what the camera can see.

jill
    Participant

zhartmann,

I am currently building an AR Sandbox with such toys. Our Sandbox is twice the size (width and height). I’m using a Kinect v1 about 85 inches from the bottom of the sandbox. The Kinect captures about 50% of the area of the toys most of the time, and without much definition. So it is passable but I would like to improve it. What is your experience? Are you using a Kinect v1 or v2?

Jill

Anonymous
    Inactive

Using a Kinect V1 with pretty much the recommended box size and configuration. We have a surface that covers the sandbox, and I typically use this with a large white paper to flatten the projection when using the computers Desktop environment to configure and change settings. I put a keyboard and mouse on the surface and I can make out rough details, like the mouse wheel and keys on the keyboard, but it’s not pinpoint accurate. It’s close to a resolution of the size of a 1/2 inch circle, averaged out. Like the keys on the keyboard and mouse-wheel are about as fine a detail as I’d expect to see.

Objects that are centered under the camera have better resolution, while objects that are taller or closer to the sides of the box will have some strange contours, basically similar to how it would cast a shadow if you were to put a flashlight pointing down like the camera is. Anything shadowed would be missing details on the shadowed side and usually have a slope where the shadow covers.

However, that’s an inherent limitation with working with one camera angle.

jill
    Participant

Thank you! Location of the objects within the sandbox is a good thing to consider.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.