Alternative to Sand

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Alternative to Sand

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sotoglzz 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

mitchtwisted
    Participant

I’ve been running the AR sandbox for almost a year at a small science centre, and it has been great, apart a massive problem with the sand. We get a lot of kids through and the sandbox cannot be supervised at all times. We ended up with sand everywhere, in all the other machines, and we had to sweep the sandbox room 2 to 3 times a day. Eventually the projector stopped working because it had about 2cm of sand in it. We then changed to white rice, but it doesn’t have the same sharpness to the image that made the sandbox so amazing, and it gets thrown around just as much.

Does anybody know any other alternatives, or box construction that would stop whatever the material is being spread around?

Sparcimagination
    Participant

Hi friend,

I just started on my own construction and experimenting with various materials.
    I live on an island so i have a abundance of white beach sand (it has zero dust particles) it projects very well. If you have trouble getting white beach sand I can recommend it may sound crazy but thermocol beans you can get them at any art supply shop depending on the store selection you are looking for the weight and size ratio (when trying to make a mountain) or you can even check at upholstery shops. Hope this can help you out.

beans

beans2

P.S. if you have dust problems in your projector you can always buy 3M dustfilter screen material used in air-conditioning dusts you can cut it to size and place infront of the air intake only use 3M it has the right membrane material that lets enough air through while taking particles out and not overheat your projector.

sotoglzz
    Participant

I built a sandbox using white marble powder, you can purchase it in hardware stores or building materials stores. It makes a lot of dust but adding a little of water you can remove it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  sotoglzz.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  sotoglzz.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.