Alternatives to sand: Rice… why not?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Alternatives to sand: Rice… why not?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  scruffyjoe 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Egokitek
    Participant

In my case the ARS will be moved a lot of times to different places and a lot of people (mainly children) will use it. From the begining I was searching alternatives to sand because has some disadvantages in my opinion. Finally I’ve decided to use white rice.

Why rice? Here are some features of this material:

– Neither heavy nor light, in my opinion has a good balance in this feature and it’s easy to transport
    – Non-toxic, the children could eat it without any problem (anyway it’s raw and don’t have a good taste)
    – It don’t sticks in the hands, fingers or nails
    – It last a lot of time but must keep it dry
    – In my case, at the end of the project, (may-june 2016) I’ll donate the rice to a non-profit charity fund and could be eated 🙂 The project is related to food sobereign, so it is an excellent way to finish the project.

I bought 75 bags at 0.6€ each one, and finally filled the sandbox with 55 liters, rice has more volumen. I’ve saved the rest to refill and future use.

With dry rice it’s more difficult to create a sharp relief and slopes will be limited, this is one disadvantage obviously but I think the advantages are more than disadvantages.

Finally, I include two pictures, I took them from the same point of view and you could see the effect.

Victor

AR Sandbox (turn-off)

AR Sandbox (turn-on)

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  Egokitek.

RickM
    Participant

Interesting alternative! Thanks for sharing!

scruffyjoe
    Participant

I cant see the photos!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.