AR Sandbox installtion issues

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum AR Sandbox installtion issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    innoit
    Participant

Hi!

I’ve been trying to set up a virtual sandbox by following the “complete installation instruction” but have run into a couple of issues.

Im using the recommended BenQ MX631ST projector togehter with a ASUS ROG G20 / GTX 980. Installation goes as expected up until launching RawKinectViewer. When only connected to the projector I can’t get any data from the Kinect. If a attach another LCD (1080p) to the computer and make that one the primary monitor, I can start RawKinectViewer and then drag it to my projector and it works as expected. I can calibrate the sandbox software and use it but I always have to keep the second monitor attached.

My second problem is that I can’t get the rain gesture to work. Only small amounts of water is produced and not in a controlled way. The most strange issue is that whenever i disconnect my second monitor and then reconnect it, the sandbox is instanty flooded with water. The animations are smooth and there doesn’t seem to be any performance issues.

I’ve reinstalled Linux Mint tree times and I get the same issue every time. I’ve also tried steps 1-5 on an older Dell Optiplex but the RawKinectViewer issue is still there.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m having a similar issue. When using a separate LCD screen to install the software, I see the spinning globe and the RawKinectViewer shows me the dual screen view for the Kinect. But using the projector, the spinning globe and RawKinect windows are just black. I am also unable to assign a capture tool for the projector-kinect calibration step; the option never comes up. I, too, have installed Mint several times and have the same issues. I am using Linux Mint 18 “Sara” MATE and am about to pull my hair out.

cogitofire
    Participant

I am having the same issue as well. I was losing my mind until I read this post and added a monitor to the setup. Now I can run everything on the monitor and drag it over to the projector to work. This appears to be an issue with the new version as I never had this issue in the past. There are only a few differences that I can think of between the two setups that I am going to explore tonight after work.

1. The resolution on the projector is 1024×768 whereas the resolution on the monitor is 1920×1200.
    2. The monitor is running via a DVI cable whereas the projector is running via HDMI
    3. Linux is recognizing the BENQ projector and lists it in the Display Settings as a projector. I could perhaps try to get it to recognize it as a monitor.

I will post any updates I find.

cogitofire
    Participant

I have been testing different things to try and fix this issue. Re-Installed again, tried various resolutions, and found that I cannot change the type of monitor that the system sees as the BENQ projector. I also found that I do not have a DVI cable long enough to test one out on the projector.

I have also noticed that the terminal window is constantly rolling some information that I have not seen before. It is just continually rolling by.

Ran out of time by 0.00645576
    Ran out of time by 0.00628029
    Ran out of time by 0.00620356
    Ran out of time by 0.00639772
    Ran out of time by 0.00659958
    Ran out of time by 0.00662215
    Ran out of time by 0.00662262
    Ran out of time by 0.00538208

Anyone have any ideas on possible solutions?

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

This is a strange issue; I do not know what is causing it.

What shows up on the projector if only the projector is connected? Are the desktop and terminal window(s) displayed properly? What happens when Vrui’s ShowEarthModel application is started?

The only thing I can remotely think of is that Mint 18 Mate might be running a compositing window manager (compiz) by default. This should not cause problems, but I have never tried that.

Please go to the control panel, see if there is an icon for Compiz, or compositing window manager, and see if it can be turned off; then try again.

Detected display names and video standard types should have nothing to do with it.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

That means the water simulation ran over its allotted time slot.

cogitofire
    Participant

Oliver,

Thanks so much for looking into this. The desktop and terminal windows are displayed properly. The ShowEarthModel is a plain black window with no graphics, which is the same as RawKinectViewer and the Sarndbox application.

Screenshot here… http://imgur.com/a/mAXgQ

If I make the projector the primary display then nothing works. If I set the LCD monitor as primary then everything works just fine.

I opened up CompizConfig Settings but there is so much in here that I don’t know where to start. If I disable the composite plugin, it has to disable the OpenGL plugin, which has to disable 6 more plugins. I didn’t want to cause more problems by having so many plugins get disabled so I stopped. Do you know I would specifically disable in Compiz?

innoit
    Participant

I get the same error message.

cogitofire
    Participant

I want to add that this issue occurs even when the projector is the only display device attached. This is not just a dual display issue, it is an issue with displaying with a projector.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am having the same issue with BenQ MW632ST and ASUS Turbo GTX 1070 – nothing displays in VRUI window when projector is set to primary display or if the projector is the only display connected. If I set up a monitor as primary display or duplicate the monitor/projector displays, everything works normally. I am running Linux Mint 18 MATE, but have also tried in 17.3 with the same results. If I figure anything out, I will be sure to share it here.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s a solution I used to bypass this issue. I have an LCD monitor and projector hooked into the computer. I set the LCD as the primary monitor and then told the display to mirror onto the projector. It’s key to tell the computer to use the monitor as the primary device. For some reason that’s the only way I can see the spinning globe, RawKinect, and Sandbox application. As long as it was being mirrored from the monitor to the projector, I could proceed with the rest of the steps. And I could even make a capture tool, finally, for the calibration step (which it wasn’t letting me do before). In order to use the sandbox, at this point, the monitor must stay connected to the computer so it makes kind of an odd-looking setup, but at least it gets the job done.

Shot
    Participant

I’m having this issue as well. I’d been using a monitor for setup, but it’s not needed for the finished installation. I’m wondering if it’s related to the recent release or if downgrading to the previous versions of the software will resolve it. I must get this working without having a monitor connected.

I wonder if something like this will work to make the software think a monitor is attached.

-Steve

Shot
    Participant

Hi Oliver,

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I launched CopmizConfig Settings Manager, and there are a bunch of settings in the following groups:

General
    Accessibility
    Desktop
    Effects
    Extras
    Image Loading
    Utility
    Window Management

Each group/category has various settings enabled. It’s unclear what (if anything) I should disable as you suggest.

Thanks for any info or insight you can provide.

-Steve

Shot
    Participant

That means the water simulation ran over its allotted time slot.

So is it “normal” or does it mean there’s an issue that needs to be resolved? If the latter, any ideas on how to resolve it? After the program spits out a bunch of those lines, it seems the software hangs shortly thereafter.

Cartonaut
    Participant

I have the same/similar problem.

If I start with the monitor and replace with the projector cable the AR Sandbox will appear on the monitor if I have run it once on the monitor.
    If I start with the projector the AR Sandbox will not appear.
    Everything is set to 1024×768.
    If I use a splitter DVI to 2 VGA and mirror mechanically it will not show on the projector.

Looking for a solution as a reboot means doing this workaround from scratch and is cumbersome.

Linux Mint MATE 18, AR Sandbox 2.3 installation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.