AR Sandbox mostly complete! Few questions left.

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum AR Sandbox mostly complete! Few questions left.

This topic contains 44 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  BillHitchens 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author

billberet
    Participant

i ordered the 6 button. it will take a while to get here, i’ll let you know how it works out.

Oliver Kreylos

vec4 waterColor=vec4(0.0,0.0,1.0,1.0); // Blue

The first three components of the vector are red, green, and blue components, each from 0.0 (off) to 1.0 (full on). The fourth component is opacity, and should be left at 1.0. To get white:

vec4 waterColor=vec4(1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0); // White

Toxic waste would be:

vec4 waterColor=vec4(0.2,1.0,0.2,1.0); // Toxic waste

etc.

INTPTT
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Oliver! For some reason I can’t edit my old posts. (We changed the location of the file dump to ARSandbox1, so if you edit the links you can get there.) Adding Toxic Waste would be cool!!

billberet
    Participant

THAT IS GREAT. start up, beep, then play….
    thanks again!!!!
    i’ll be making my changes soon, I have to wait for my son to go to sleep before I can play. or all I hear is sandbox sandbox sandbox (2.5 yrs old)!!!!!! LOL

INTPTT
    Participant

Hey look, I made ice!
    vec4 waterColor=vec4(0.2-colorW,1.0-colorW*0.2,1.0,1.0); // Ice

or, maybe better yet
    vec4 waterColor=vec4(1.0-colorW,1.0-colorW*0.2,1.0,1.0); // Sparkly Ice

Or how about polluted water?
    vec4 waterColor=vec4(1.0-colorW,0.2-colorW*0.2,1.0,1.0); // Polluted Water

And lastly, I like to call this toxic death…
    vec4 waterColor=vec4(0.2-colorW,1.0-colorW*2.0,0.2,1.0); // Toxic Death

This is fun to play with. =D

::EDIT:: ALSO NOTE: You’ll want to copy/edit the Lava shader for any of these to work!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  INTPTT.

INTPTT
    Participant

Oliver, I noticed my “snow” has a yellowish tint on the edges to it as I went above 1.0. Your “white” is

vec4 waterColor=vec4(1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0); // White

Whereas mine is

vec4 waterColor=vec4(2.0,2.0,1.0,1.0); // Snow

Why is that? If 1.0 is max, above it shouldn’t make a difference. But it does. (O_o)

::EDIT:: Here’s a screenshot example.

White as you described

“Yellow snow” (heh) as I have

billberet
    Participant

how did you run these? another shell script?

Oliver Kreylos

My bad. Color components are clamped to [0.0, 1.0] right before being written to the screen, but during computation, any values, even negative ones, are allowed. Color components larger than one will blow out the blending calculation between liquid and terrain color that’s done in the next shader line.

INTPTT
    Participant

That makes sense. Thanks! I kinda dig the yellow-tint. Looks like a sun reflection or something. =)

Jensen (here on the forum) did most of the programming on ours. I loved his idea of changing the mouse cursor so when doing “Add water locally” (which we have scripted to buttons) it looks better than an arrow. (It’s set as a sun/cloud.)

INTPTT
    Participant

Yup, exactly. Simpliest way is to copy the Lava files (shell script and shader) then modify the line for Lava to the above. Save them with a different name at the end of both the script and shader, change the code in the script to match, and finally map the key like everything else. Our current mappings are:

F1 = Water
    F2 = Lava
    F3 = Snow
    F4 = Sparkly Ice
    F5 = Toxic Waste
    F6 = Toggle topology
    7 = Local flood (at cursor)
    8 = Local dry (at cursor
    9 = Flood all
    0 = Dry all

We ordered a 6-button and 4-button handheld controller like I showed you. The 6-button will be shaders and topology while the 4 will be flood/dry. (We also have a trackpad we’ll mount to be able to move the mouse around, disabling the buttons.) Should be pretty slick when done!

billberet
    Participant

Gotcha, I created all my files. i’ll add them to my box when I get home.
    Great job with all the shaders. It adds alots of dynamics to the project.

I put some clouds on long sticks to simulate water without putting your hands in and getting water all over the place. it’s simple but very effective. especially for lava, to get it only in the center of the mountain. your trackball idea will work great!!!! I can’t wait to see some pics.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  billberet.

INTPTT
    Participant

Couldn’t get over to the museum to record it live, but here’s a quick demo video through TeamViewer (our remote control.) We have a meeting with the director and a watershed researcher on Tues. I plan to record some of that session. Sounds like we *might* be building another one!

billberet
    Participant

That’s one nice box.
    is that your trackball running the cursor?
    I might mount a trackball in the front middle so you can position the cursor where you want it to rain. i have all the shaders running like you have, just waiting on my usb buttons.
    Great job on your build !!!

billberet
    Participant

You should rename your sparkly ice to shallow tropical water.
    I made an island chain and used that shader and it looked like shallow reef water!
    Love it!

billberet
    Participant

Here is Sparkly Ice, Looks like a warm tropical island chain!!!!
    now you can make a lagoon!

here are your other shaders, they look great.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.