AR Sandbox mostly complete! Few questions left.

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum AR Sandbox mostly complete! Few questions left.

This topic contains 41 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  mkaszuba 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

INTPTT
    Participant

Badass! Glad it’s working well for you. As mentioned in another thread, we got the 6-button device today. It works fantastic and so easy to program! Quite powerful as well. We’re gonna think about other ways to make a good use of it.

Jensen
    Participant

so to accomplish this we made two scripts (possibly a much simpler way to do this, but this is what got the job done for us)

first

make a script in your /Shaders file; for lava save cp SurfaceAddWaterColor-Lava.fs SurfaceAddWaterColor.fs as switch-to-lava.sh

then make a second script in your home directory named lava-switch.sh

cd ~/src/SARndbox-1.5-001/share/SARndbox-1.5/Shaders
    ./switch-to-lava.sh

then point your shortcut to the script in your home directory, the command would simply be ./lava-switch.sh For some reason we had trouble getting the shortcut to run directly from the /Shaders directory.

P.S. be sure to rename these directories if you update to 1.6!!!

Dhansberry
    Participant

if you take apart a keyboard and use the little electronic board to wire the switch, you can connect this button to it to represent a key.
    they are dirt cheap. You get 5 of them for the price!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Dhansberry.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Dhansberry.

INTPTT
    Participant

We did try the keyboard route (taking it apart) but ended up going with something a little more permanent. (The kids are rough on things.) The 6-button controller is working wonderfully, and we got it for $13. Actually got two, and I’m glad we did because one was ripped off during “community free day.” (O_O)

INTPTT
    Participant

Here’s some more recent pictures (after the weekly maintenance we’ve discovered is needed: cleaning the covers over the projector and Kinekt, adding sand and recalibrating.)

Final 1

Final 1

Final 1

BrooksideTechTeam
    Participant

Is there any way to assign these to keyboard keys?

INTPTT
    Participant

Yes! I think we have that in another post somewhere with the scripts. If you look at the pictures in this post, you can see a 6-button controller hanging from it on the left. 1 is water, 2 is lava, 3 is snow, 4 is ice/tropical, 5 is green (toxic waste) and 6 is fill. Works perfectly – we have them mapped to F1, F2, F3, F4, F5 and #9 I believe. I know we posted the code somewhere about mapping. I’ll see if Jensen (user here, the main tech on this project) can add a bit more to it or find the link.

BrooksideTechTeam
    Participant

That would be awesome! Thank you for the reply, as well.

BrooksideTechTeam
    Participant

You also mentioned the use of the xdotool, but I have no idea how to use it (let alone install it). Is there a step-by-step method anywhere that I can use? I have the shaders installed in the files that you provided, but I’m stuck at the button-assigning process.

mkaszuba
    Participant

Hello there INTPTT, would you be willing to share with the group a copy of the scripts/adjusted files you are using to make all the colour changes and button features?

Or maybe you can email me at mkaszuba@pvnccdsb.on.ca if there is no way to post attachments.

Thanks.

mkaszuba
    Participant

Would you be willing to share your shaders and cfg files that you have created to make your project complete?

mkaszuba
    Participant

Hi all. Craig Beals (https://www.bealsscience.com/single-post/2017/06/07/Augmented-Reality-Sandbox-will-Blow-Your-Mind) has a great video about his build. I have taken taken his build and created Sketchup files, and an stl file to see it in 3d.

BealsScience files

PLease note: I added a computer shelf to his original build.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  mkaszuba.
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.