ARSandbox on NUC 5i7RYH running Fedora 24

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum ARSandbox on NUC 5i7RYH running Fedora 24

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Phillip Curtiss
    Participant

I have built an AR Sandbox (ARS) for the Science Mine – an Exploratorium-Style Hands-on Science Discovery and Learning Center here in Montana. Part of our ARS design was to use a small form factor PC to minimize the amount of cables, compute hardware, and the like at the exhibit space.

We settled on the Intel NUC 5i7RYH which we got in kit form an added 12GB of RAM and a 250GB SSD. The specs for this box are as follows:

• Processor: 5th Gen Intel Core i7-5557U (3.1GHz up to 3.4GHz Turbo Dual Core)
    • Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 w/One Mini Display Port and one Mini HDMI port
    • Memory: 12GB of DDR3L 1600MHz
    • Storage: 250GB M.2 SSD

We started with a clean install of Fedora 24 64-bit since Intel Graphics for Linux drivers support this version of Fedora. After installing the Fedora 24 OS, we performed the update, and then began loading packages to satisfy the requirements of the ARS.

1. Loaded Intel’s Drivers for the Iris 6100 (and other Broadwell chipsets) running on Linux. We did this by installing the IntelGraphicsLinux Software installation tool from Linux-Graphics-Downloads. This updated a number of packages on the system and installed the graphics drivers from Intel as follows:
      • xf86-video-intel-2.99.917
      • libva-1.7.2
      • vaapi intel-driver-1.7.2
      • Cairo-1.15.2
      • intel-gpu-tools-1.16
    2. Used the Fedora-Build.sh script for the UC Davis ARS site to download, build and install the lates (v.4.2-006) of VRUI on the system
    3. Went to the KeckCAVES GitHub site to download, build and install Kinect-3.2 on the system
    4. Went to the KeckCAVES GitHub site to download, build and install SARndbox-2.3 on the system
    5. Performed the calibration steps from a combination of instructions from the README in the SARndbox-2.3 directory and the link to the official setup guide on this forum
    6. Launched the ARS and it works very nicely and is very fast given the NUC i7 3.1GHz processor

Our challenge is with the water simulation at this point. We can not get the rain to work at all.

When are using the correct options “-umh -fpv -rer 20 100” to get start the ARS, but the open hand gesture does not produce rain, now do the keyboard commands. When returning to the console, we have lines that read “glPrintError: Invalid framebuffer operation” (many of them) on the screen. Every other aspect of the system appears to be working however.

It sure appears as thought he Iris 6100 should be more than adequate to perform the OpenGL rending required. Here is a benchmark of the Iris 6100 graphics capabilities including OpenGL benchmarking Iris-6100-Benchmark.

If anyone could provide some insight into how to fix this issue and get the water simulation running, that would most helpful. Don’t mind diving into the code to fix issues, but need to know where to look.

Thank you.
    Phil

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Either the Iris 6100 GPU itself, or its drivers, do not support some aspect of how the AR Sandbox runs its water simulation as a set of OpenGL shaders using OpenGL frame buffer objects as state representations, hence the “invalid framebuffer operation” error messages. I haven’t looked into exactly which aspect is not supported. It might be possible to work around the issue, or fixing it might require a major rewrite of the simulation code.

Otherwise, the Iris 6100 has a nominal computation performance of 28.8 Gflops, or about 1/137th the performance of our recommended GPU, the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (3.95 Tflops).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.