Augmented Reality Sandbox issue with Rasberry Pi

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Augmented Reality Sandbox issue with Rasberry Pi

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Oliver Kreylos 1 day, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I came across this the other day:

I am looking at building one myself, but I am still waiting for my Pi to arrive. I am a bit concerned about the GPU power to render the water animation as the project site says that it needs a pretty decent GPU.

Has anyone tried something similar with the Pi?

I didn’t find the right solution from the internet.

whiteboard animation

Hi William,
    did you have any luck? From what I’ve read, the water simulation requires full Open GL support, but older versions of the Pi would only support OpenGL ES version.

This article implies that there is some OpenGL hope for Pi3 owners:
    Trying out OpenGL on Raspberry Pi 3

However I think that the water effects may be a bit more GPU demanding than the Pi can support.
    Sadly, even the new Pi3 B+ apparently has the same GPU as the Pi2.

Let us know how your experience was.

Oliver Kreylos

The new OpenGL driver is good news, as, unlike previous full OpenGL drivers for Raspberry Pi that were software-emulated, it uses the GPU for acceleration.

Nonetheless, don’t get your hopes up. While I didn’t find real benchmarks of the Pi’s GPU, I saw manufacturer specs quoting a (theoretical) top performance of 25 GFLOPS.

For comparison, the Nvidia GeForce 1050, a mid-range desktop PC GPU with decent AR Sandbox water simulation performance, has almost 2000 GFLOPS, meaning it’s about 75 times faster.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.