benq keystone

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum benq keystone

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    billberet
    Participant

does anyone else have an issue of the BenQ projector keystone.
    every time i turn on my projector the screen looks like a trapezoid. and i have to edit the keystone.

INTPTT
    Participant

Yup, we have the exact same problem. Haven’t found a solution besides instructing the staff to fix it each morning. Problem is, if they don’t put it back exactly how it was when calibrated,m everything is off. Would love a solution to this…

billberet
    Participant

wow you know I haven’t thought of that, I’ve just been adjusting it, not making sure it’s EXACTLY the same each time. now I have to recalibrate it again I think! so I know what keystone I used.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

If you can live with overprojection, meaning some of the image will end up outside the box or on the floor, then I recommend not using keystone correction in the projector. It’s flaky and reduces image quality.

Aim the projector such that the image covers the inside of the box, reset keystone correction on the projector to zero across the board, and let the CalibrateProjector utility take care of the rest. It does keystone correction internally, with no impact on image quality.

The next major SARndbox update will have an option to black out non-rectangular screen regions to limit the projection image to the inside of the sandbox.

INTPTT
    Participant

Good to know. In our case, the keystone is WAY off. In order to make it cover everything, we’d likely have 2-3 feet of excess at one side, projecting everywhere. We’ve found the sweet spot and shown them how to “calibrate” the keystone to the topology. (What lines to look for to make sure it’s in the right spot.) So far so good.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Have you tried a projector calibration without keystone correction? If you haven’t, would you mind doing it, to see if it works?

You will have full overprojection during setup and calibration, but once you run the SARndbox itself, the image should be black outside the sandbox’s extents, for the same effect as using the projector’s keystone controls (which don’t do physical blanking either, simply set outside pixels to black).

You should only get overprojection if your Kinect captures surfaces outside the sandbox, such as the floor.

billberet
    Participant

you miss understand, I don’t use keystone.
    but when I turn on the projector the screen looks like a trapezoid. I have to bring the keystone back to 0 every time. in reality I’m turning off keystone every time the projector turns on.
    I’m sure having the projector vertical all the time has something to do with it,
    I’m sure their quality control didn’t try projecting on the floor for a few hours a day, lol 😉

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by billberet.
    INTPTT
    Participant

The connect only captures the box itself, including the sides. (We’ve actually found this to be desired as it creates a “valley” and traps the liquid within. Otherwise the liquid can just run off the edge of the world.)

Bill put it best – we have to go back to zero each time as it starts out skewed completely one direction. (Towards the “bottom” of the projector.) It’s a minor annoyance that has nothing to do with the software. We’d need to expand the projector to cover a LARGE area in order to have the top part fill the box.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Yes, I did indeed misunderstand. Just to be clear: When you turn on the projector, it will apply a (bogus) keystone correction setting, which will result in a squished trapezoidal image, and you have to manually undo that every time by resetting keystone correction to zero? Furthermore, once you do reset keystone correction, if you bring up a test image (run XBackground from the Vrui package in full-screen mode), the horizontal and vertical lines have no jaggies, the circles are round, and the horizontal bar in the center has clean alternating black/white vertical lines?

In that case, you’re probably running into an automatic keystone correction “feature” that’s new to this projector line. None of ours are doing this. Turn the projector on and go to the “DISPLAY” menu. See if there’s an entry for “Auto Keystone.” If so, make sure to turn it off (see page 23 in the projector manual). That ought to fix it.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Please see my reply above.

billberet
    Participant

hey guys, I truly understand that it has nothing to do with the software. the software runs great. but I think Oliver hit it on the head when he stated the new machines have auto keystone. i’ll have to see if that feature can be turned off. I think I saw auto keystone in the settings, but it wasn’t an on/off toggle, when you go to that menu item, it generates an auto keystone. but I will check again now that I know what I am looking for.

thanks Oliver, Intptt

billberet
    Participant

THANKS ALL FIXED !!!!!
    the auto keystone has(on/off)
    nice and simple !

INTPTT
    Participant

Thanks Oliver. I did find the setting (before this thread) and have always had it off expecting it to cause issues. Unfortunately it continues to do this seemingly at random (not every time it is turned on, but sometimes.) I’m 100% positive it’s not something in the software – this is a “feature not a bug” type thing. I just didn’t know if someone else happened to have the same issue and found a solution.

billberet
    Participant

hey INTPTT,
    yea I was able to correct my issue, I had autokeystone turned on so every time the projector was powered and it was vertical, it tried to correct the picture by making a HUGE trapezoid.

so your saying this happens when you run the sandbox program?
    Or does it happen immediately when you turn the computer on?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.