BenQ MX631S projection angle to sandbox

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum BenQ MX631S projection angle to sandbox

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  maphew 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ross
    Participant

I have read a number of times that the offset center axis of projection 105 % (which I take to mean 15 degrees) can be the cause of focus issues on the far side of the sand box. The Then, elsewhere that a center axis projection would solve this issue.
    I have just seen this: image Echo Lake
    The BenQ appears to be more vertically aligned over the sandbox and tilted possibly 15 degrees off vertical.
    Can anyone see any negative issues that might arise from this arrangement.
    Thanks

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

The 105% figure means that, if your projected image is 1m tall, its bottom edge will be 5cm (5% of 1m) above the imaginary center line of the projector.

The projector lens is designed such that the image will be in focus everywhere if projected onto a flat screen that is at a right angle to that imaginary center line. Concretely, if you put the projector completely level onto a table and project onto a vertical wall, the image will sit 5% above the horizontal plane going through the lens center, and the entire image will be in focus.

The downside of above-centerline projection for AR Sandboxes is that the light at the front edge of the sandbox, where most users will stand, comes in at a fairly low angle, which reduces brightness, and can lead to shadowing when there are steep slopes facing away from the projector. A centerline projector directly above the sandbox’s center point would improve that.

The ECHO, TERC, and LHS setups use a compromise where the projector is shifted towards the center of the box, and tilted out to move the projection image back to the center. This was necessary because the projector hood was designed too small.

There are two problems when a projection surface is not orthogonal to the projector’s centerline: keystone distortion and focus. Keystone distortion is effectively taken care of by the AR Sandbox’s calibration procedure, but focus remains. With a tilted projector, only a single horizontal line is in perfect focus; lines above and below that become increasingly blurry. It’s not a huge effect, but it is noticeable. Enough that I don’t recommend building an AR Sandbox with a tilted projector.

Ross
    Participant

Thanks Oliver, Projector ordered!

maphew
    Participant

Thank you for that explanation Oliver. I needed to read through a few times to get the picture built up in my head, but I get it now. Very helpful.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.