Black area in middle of Kinect Image

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Black area in middle of Kinect Image

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  noopara 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

noopara
    Participant

When doing calibration to align the camera and for 3D extents the image on the left (camera image) has a large (80%) area in the middle which is black. Also when doing the final align of the projector and camera the image is void of any color. It displays the cross hairs but there is no green or yellow and it does not respond to the 1 key.

What could be causing this?

noopara
    Participant

Here’s some more detail on this problem.

It’s a portable design. Great attention to detail was made with this design to ensure that setup and break-down would not disturb the relative position of the projector, camera and sandbox. The sandbox has been used at two events over the last two months without any problems. It worked perfectly both times without the need to re-calibrate. Then last week after setting it up again it didn’t show any contour lines or show colors. So, I attempted to run the calibration and noticed that there wasn’t the typical green image for the Kinect camera when doing the align and 3D Extents. What I see is an image that is green around the edges and solid black in the middle. I concluded that the camera must have failed. So, we purchased three cameras. One from eBay and two from Amazon. All of these produced the same result. So, it would seem that the problem is not the camera. We also purchased three more USB Power adapters thinking that maybe that was the problem. That didn’t solve it either.

We have committed to show the box at another event next week.

Please respond if you have any idea about what might be causing this problem or suggestions for troubleshooting.

I was able to to do the camera align and do the 3D extents using the corners of the image which are green (even though the middle is all black) and it produces a normal looking set of data.

When running align the projector to the camera the cross hairs show up but it does not respond to the 1 key. Note that I have implemented the changes described in the Post Installation Setup shown here >> https://arsandbox.ucdavis.edu/forums/topic/ar-sandbox-post-installation-setup/ This was used when it was originally calibrated two months ago and it worked perfectly. Could this now be causing a problem?

noopara
    Participant

More Follow up Info.

I have only the camera connected to the computer in my office and the camera seems to be working properly. It is providing a complete depth image with no black area in the middle as it was doing over the sandbox. It’s a conundrum. What could cause the black area in 80% of the sandbox? photo in office of Kinect Output

I checked to make sure that the files CalibrateProjector.cfg and SARndbox.cfg are as they should be and they are as described in the Post Installation Instructions.

Any hints as to what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  noopara.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  noopara.

noopara
    Participant

If it helps, I am running Vrui-4.2-006, SARndbox-2.3 and Kinect-3.2 which I think is all the latest. The system was set up a few months ago.

noopara
    Participant

Here is a link to the boxlayout.txt file data.
    BoxLayout.txt

noopara
    Participant

I thought that I was using the latest versions of the software, but discovered the new up to date Software Installation Instruction here >> http://idav.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/SARndbox/LinkSoftwareInstallation.html

I installed all of the new software per the instruction. It all works as far as I can tell in my office with the Kinect. I will set up the sandbox tomorrow and see if the problem has been fixed.

noopara
    Participant

I tested the sandbox today with the new versions of software and it’s still not working right.

With the sand in the box the left image shows with only green around the edges and black in 80% of the middle. Changing cameras makes no difference. I took the sand out of the box leaving the black bottom of the sand box and then the green image would show up with only a small black area near the top left. I was able to get all the way to calibration of the camera and projector but the target is not recognized. The cross hair shows up but there is no yellow, no green no matter which way the target is held.

I am beginning to wonder about noise on the AC power line. These tests were conducted on a board walk (pier) in a marina. Has anyone had experience with dirty AC power causing problems with their sandbox? I’ll put my o’scope on it in a couple of weeks to see what it looks like.

In a week or so, I will be testing the system with known clean power where it has worked before. If the problem still persists, I will be wiping the hard drive and doing a fresh install.

noopara
    Participant

I was able to get it set up this morning in my garage and it ran perfectly as it always has. My suspicion about the AC power quality on the pier must be the problem. We have purchased a power conditioner which hopefully will do the trick. I still want to put my scope on the power on the pier to verify the problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.