build issues

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum build issues

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Oliver Kreylos 4 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

rhettc
    Participant

I’ve been working with the AR Sandbox family of tools for a few weeks. I have performed a few fresh installations as a result. I find that every time I install there are paths and version numbers that I have to edit in the makefile to get it to work. Do you have a procedure to test the build process after releasing a new version? Have you considered using GitHub for code hosting, if the files were on GitHub it would be trivial for me to submit issues along with fixes. I also think more people would discover this amazing software you have created. I appreciate all of your hard work – very impressive!

rhettc
    Participant

Hmm I it might be some confusion with the instructions, actually, I might not have been reading carefully too.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

For simplicity reasons, Vrui and its add-on packages and applications (Kinect, SARndbox, …) are set up to install in the installing user’s home directory. For experimentation, I recommend not changing anything in the build system and just running make, make install on Vrui and Kinect, in that order, and make on SARndbox. That creates a working system with the CalibrateProjector and SARndbox executables in ./bin in the directory from which make was run.

Depending on how the sandbox computer is set up, it might not be necessary to ever do a system-wide installation, but if desired, the easiest way is to pass installation paths directly to make, as in:

Vrui:

$ make INSTALLDIR=/usr/local
    $ make INSTALLDIR=/usr/local install

Kinect:

$ make VRUI_MAKEDIR=/usr/local/share/Vrui-3.1/make
    $ make VRUI_MAKEDIR=/usr/local/share/Vrui-3.1/make install

SARndbox:

$ make VRUI_MAKEDIR=/usr/local/share/Vrui-3.1/make INSTALLDIR=/usr/local
    $ make VRUI_MAKEDIR=/usr/local/share/Vrui-3.1/make INSTALLDIR=/usr/local install

This procedure doesn’t modify any files, so it could be put into a script.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.