Compatibility with Kinect for Windows v2?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Compatibility with Kinect for Windows v2?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Oliver Kreylos 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dennis
    Participant

Hi all,

it’s nice to find a support forum for this amazing project and I hope someone can help me with my question.

I’m planing to install such a box for a exhibition project and I’m not sure if such new hardware like the Kinect for Windows v2 will work with the software (Ubuntu Linux + AR Sandbox Software).

Does someone know if it will work with the newer Kinect camera? Has somebody gathered any experience with Kinect v2?
    (I’m asking because by now it is somehow difficult to get the older Kinect camera and maybe the new one will be more ‘future save’.)

Thanks in advance,
    Dennis

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

The current AR Sandbox software only works with the first-generation Kinect, either Kinect-for-Xbox 360 or Kinect-for-Windows. I’m still working on a low-level driver for the Kinect-for-Xbox One and Kinect-for-Windows v2.

You should still be able to pick up Kinect-for-Xbox 360 in the gaming aisle at electronics stores, for around $100.

Radek
    Participant

Hi!

I’d like to bump this topic.

As a scientific institution in Poland we can’t easily buy used device, so Kinect v2 is our only option. Currently our installation runs on borrowed private camera, but that’s temporary solution.

I wonder if we can expect Kinect v2 being supported by SARndox in the near future.

Thanks in advance,
    Radek

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

It’s going to be a while, but you can still order new Kinect-for-Xbox-360 devices, for example via Amazon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.