computer specs

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum computer specs

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FSWCD 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

FSWCD
    Participant

Our office is in the process of building a AR Sandbox. We have purchased a majority of the items. What is the recommended type of computer? Is it a desktop or a laptop? We understand that the video card is the most important part of the computer to allow things to run as smoothly as possible.

I have been reading other threads about USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0. Even though the program supports USB 3.0, Linux is still lacking. Most desktops have both 3.0 and 2.0 USB ports while the laptops typically have 3.0 USB ports. Is it recommended to use 2.0 USB ports with the sandbox?

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

RickM
    Participant

I’m also interested in what you can find out as I’m just starting to build one at my local Makerspace.

What hardware did you land on and how’s it going?

FSWCD
    Participant

What I have been able to determine to this point is that people are using both desktop and laptops to run the program. The video card is crucial. The rainfall portion of the program will run with older video cards, but it is sluggish.

NVDIA Geforce GTX 970 is the video card we are using. It was the latest gaming video card available at time of purchase.

The biggest difference that I have noticed, but I haven’t been able to test myself, is that you need to have a 2.0 USB port to run the program. I can’t get our laptop to recognize the Kinect which has all 3.0 USB ports. The people that I have talked to gave me the specs of their computers and they all have a 2.0 USB port. I am hoping to take our camera and test it on their computer to make sure it isn’t our camera.

I would recommended that the camera be connected directly into the wall for power instead of using an extension cord.

When researching a computer, I believe it needs to have a 2.0 USB port. Even though 3.0 USB is backwards compatible, I can’t get it to recognize the Kinect.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.