Config Utilities & AR Sandbox Micro Sized Menus

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Config Utilities & AR Sandbox Micro Sized Menus

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Oliver Kreylos 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

sduffy
    Participant

I am having tremendous difficulty with resolution as it pertains to the option menus in both the configuration utilities and the AR Sandbox software. I am running an Intel i7, 32GB RAM,NVIDIA GTX 1070 top with an ultra high definition screen 3840×2160 (I think). Not sure the display is related, but thought it may be relative. I have Linux Mint newest version, as of 4 weeks ago, installed and functioning with the NVIDIA drivers loaded.

Not sure where to go with the menu resolution issue. I am a Linux newbie, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort to assist!

Stephen

sduffy
    Participant

Close this thread. I figured this out. It does appear it was related to the resolution on the laptop screen. I was able to change the xconfig resoluion and the sandbox is operational! Now to learn all the operationsame and tweaks! Thanks!

Oliver Kreylos

Thanks for figuring it out and following up. I’m still replying as this might affect more users.

The Vrui toolkit underlying the AR Sandbox uses the real-world sizes advertised by monitors and some projectors to figure out how large text and other user interface components need to be to be usable. This generally works well, but some monitors lie about their own sizes, causing problems. To figure out how big your monitor(s) think they are, run from a terminal window:

$ xrandr

This will list all connected displays and their physical sizes. Excerpt from mine:

HDMI-0 connected 2160x1200+3840+0 ... 122mm x 68mm
    DP-0 connected primary 3840x2160+0+0 ... 621mm x 341mm

Both of these happen to be correct (HDMI-0 is an HTC Vive head-mounted display).

If your monitors think they are way larger than they really are, text will be too small. One way to fix this is to override the monitors’ self-reported sizes through an X configuration file, and another one is to disable Vrui’s screen size auto-detection, which may be easier, and make more sense if the screen is a projector.

Open Vrui.cfg, which is by default in /usr/local/etc/Vrui-<version>>, with a text editor ($ pluma /usr/.../Vrui.cfg) and find “section Screen” inside “section Desktop.” Then edit the “width” and “height” settings to match the width and height of your sandbox (in inches), and adjust “origin” so that it is (-width/2, -height/2, 0), which will put (0, 0, 0) in the middle of the screen.

Then find “section Window” further down, and set “autoScreenSize” to “false”. If text is still too big/small afterwards, adjust text size directly by editing “uiFontTextHeight” further up in “section Desktop”.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.