Current projector choices – advice wanted

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Current projector choices – advice wanted

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  GG_MEDL 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

My institution is currently putting together a proposal to build an AR Sandbox and I have been asked to put together a materials list and budget for the project. The instructions here suggest the use of the BenQ MX631St projector, but this seems to be a discontinued product. Does anyone have suggestions for an equivalent projector that is available (I’m posting this in May 2016), maybe something like the Optima X305ST
    Should I just be looking at the native resolution, contrast ratio, aspect ratio and lumens numbers or are there any other specs that I should pay close attention too? I’m also think ahead to the possible advances with the AR Sandbox that might include the ability to use the Kinect 2 which might then change the projector specs required.
    Any thoughts, experiences would be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Paul,

I’m in the process of putting together an AR sandbox for my institution. Based on my research, it might be difficult to find another projector with the throw ratio of the BenQ MX631ST, which is about 1.0 (actually, adjustable from 0.9 – 1.08). What that allows is for the projector and Kinect sensor to be mounted at the same height above the sand, which simplifies the design of the exhibit. IOW, at about 40″ above the sand, the 40″ x 30″ box just fits within the field of view of both the Kinect and projector.

It should be possible to use another short throw projector with a 4:3 aspect ratio, but I think it would have to be mounted at a different height than the Kinect. At least, that’s the way I understand it.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your project.

Rob Reynolds

This is the replacement. i think it will work but its more expensive ($630)

I just tested the “Optoma X305ST XGA 3000 Lumen Full 3D DLP Short Throw Projector with HDMI”.
    The issue with this projector is that it has to be very close to the sand for it to be 40″ wide. It only has a digital zoom, and it barely makes the screen smaller. I’m worried it would get touched too much being that low. Here is the link to the projector:

I’ve built two other sandboxes with the BenQ MX631ST. These seemed like a good height.

I’ve built one with a longer throw BenQ (forget the model), a mirror, and some help from Oliver. This one worked alright, but still not better that the MX621ST.

I used the Epson PowerLite 1770W Projector recently. Had to mount the projector a little over a foot higher. I didn’t spend too much time on adjustments but I do not recall getting the picture to fit the box. I might be using this projector again this weekend, so I will report back if I can make it work.

If anyone has used another brand/model projector, please share your results here. If there happens to be another thread with a list of projectors please post a link.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.