DEM Examples

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum DEM Examples

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jbritton
    Participant

I just updated our sandbox to v2.3 and have been trying to understand the DEM tool. From what I’ve read here on the forums, the AR Sandbox is looking for a .grid file which is basically a 30×40 list of elevations with some header info about corners and size? And there is currently no way to generate these from an existing DEM raster?

Also, when using the save bathymetry tool, where does it output that file? I have tried a few times but it is either not generating a file or I am looking in the wrong place.

I was hoping someone had an example of a .grid file they would be willing to share that I could use to build off of.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

The DEM file format is explained in this thread. The grid size can be anything, but it doesn’t make sense to use a higher grid resolution than the Kinect camera’s resolution, i.e., 640×480.

I uploaded a DEM of Lake Tahoe to my web server.

Without any custom configuration, the “Save Bathymetry” tool saves the current sandbox DEM in the current directory of the terminal from which SARndbox was started, using the file name “BathymetrySaverTool.dem.”

jbritton
    Participant

Thank you, this should help get me started. I especially appreciate the link to the Tahoe DEM. Is there a workflow to take an existing DEM and convert it to the .grid format?

If I’m launching SARndbox from a script, will it still output the DEM correctly?

Thanks again!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.