Depth Frame Buffer/ Response time

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Depth Frame Buffer/ Response time

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Oliver Kreylos 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

DanielMarc
    Participant

Hi,

How can a setup take advantage of a more powerful PC (8 core 4GHZ, custom build) in order to achieve a faster response time. I guess the kinect is limited to 30 fps but can I reduce the size of the software buffer frame size in order to get to a more real time response? I’ve had a quick look at FrameFilter.cpp but figured I’d ask this in case anyone else has tried to speed up the response.

Or maybe there’s another way to increase the speed?

thanks for the software package!
    Daniel

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Processor performance has little to do with it. The Kinect delivers depth frames at a fixed rate of 30 Hz, and the software uses a 30-tap smoothing and outlier removal filter to stabilize the reconstructed topography, leading to exactly 1s of latency between user action and graphics update.

You can select an arbitrary size for the smoothing buffer via the -nas (“number of averaging slots”) command line option:

-nas <filter size>

If you reduce filter size below 10, you also need to adjust the stability parameters via

-sp <min num samples> <max variance>

You should set those two values to 1 and 10, respectively.

With the minimum filter size of 1, the AR Sandbox response time will be around 1/30s, but the topography will be very noisy, and any body parts, tools, or other objects above the sand surface will be integrated into the surface.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.