Dual Display Not Working

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Dual Display Not Working

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Aquaman16081
    Participant

Oliver,

Good morning, first off, let me tell you that this software is amazing. We built one to use in our visitor center at Carters Lake and the visitors have really enjoyed it. We’ve had to scale back its magnificence a bit since the computer we had available can’t run the water, but we’ll remedy that as we can. It is still really amazing and makes me look like a superstar since it was my idea to build it.

Oliver or anyone else that can help:

I am however having another issue with the dual display configuration. I figured, hey I can’t run water, but certainly people would love to see the rendering of their terrain on a monitor above the table.

Now, real quick, we do not have an Nvidia graphics card. It is an Intel integrated card, but runs the display without water quite well, I tell you this only because perhaps our issue is caused by this fact.

I set up the config files as instructed in your instructions, verbatim. I know that the correct ports are named. I added the necessary command to the shell file for running SARndbox. I ensured that the display settings have the projector to the right and desktop extended across both displays. When I run the sandbox application, what I get is two window pop-ups kind of nested in the main screen. They have title bars that say Sandbox-0 and Sandbox-1, but they have no content in them other than a view of the desktop wallpaper. One of them can be expanded to fill an entire screen, but the other cannot be manipulated at all. In addition, they cannot be closed and nothing on the desktop can be accessed. I have to use the Alt-F2 killall to kill the application. I’ve looked through the forums and cannot locate other postings that seem to be dealing with the same issue. I tried one “fix” that I saw, but it was not what was needed. I will say that when editing the Sarndbox.cfg file, it will print out several “CRITICAL” messages in the terminal window, though it opens the file and allows me to edit. I am not sure if this is some limitation of the graphics cards ability to split the Vrui and Sandbox components to separate displays or some programmatic issue with my LinuxMint.

I would greatly appreciate some assistance with this as it is the beginning of my steps to create an engaging and immersive visitor center.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

I just tried opening a dual-window Vrui application myself, on my laptop which does not have a discrete graphics card, either. I am getting the same result.

It appears that this is a missing feature or a bug in the Intel graphics driver. By default, when opening multiple windows, Vrui shares the 3D rendering context between all opened windows, as that is the more efficient way to do it. This seems to cause trouble on Intel graphics.

You can work around this by forcing Vrui to open two windows with different 3D contexts, by assigning different window group IDs to your windows. This will negatively affect performance, especially in the AR Sandbox water renderer, because it will have to run twice in parallel. Since water isn’t working on Intel graphics anyway, it might not be a huge issue.

In the configuration section defining the second window (“section Window2” if you followed the detailed installation instructions), add the setting groupId 1. This will force separate contexts, and it should work.

Aquaman16081
    Participant

Oliver,

It’s good to hear that is likely a graphics card issue. Hopefully we’ll be getting a computer in the not too distant future that will have a discrete graphics card and we will be able to take advantage of the full benefits of the software. Since I have the water turned off because it wasn’t working, it shouldn’t impact hopefully. I will try this additional setting and let you know. Thank you so much for the quick reply, your efforts on this project are well appreciated.

George

Aquaman16081
    Participant

Oliver,

I put the groupID 1 setting into the Window2 section. It did something, but not what we wanted. It forced both the projector and the display to show two pop-up frames on the desktop. So it did force the system to recognize two separate displays, but just gave the same appearance. I have placed photos of what it is doing, the config file and the gibberish that appears in the terminal window when I run the commands to bring up the config files (thought the xed still opens to allow me to edit). These are at the following link: https://www.flickr.com/gp/181881217@N05/K8G80r Hopefully there is some clue in these. If not and it is a graphics card issue then it may just need to wait until we have better computer with a better graphics card. Thanks again for the help!

George

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.