Email from Russian source

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Email from Russian source

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Shot 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

CanisiusPhysics
    Participant

Just received an email from a Russian source which goes in part,
    “We are the development team from Russia, and we have developed the whole-new software for the augmented reality sandbox, it has 13 different modes for education, entertainment and even research. It’s lag free and powered by a modern game engine.”

The youtube channel looks legit, however, I am wary of the interactive-sandbox.com link. I may try it later at home with the setup I use for such possibly dangerous links.

I am also suspicious with this line “I would really like to get in contact with you via phone or Skype when it’s convenient and discuss this update!” Why not just post the software?

Can anyone provide more information about this organization?

Shot
    Participant

CanisiusPhysics, thanks for sharing!

It is indeed legit. I checked out the website and emailed them this morning. I just got a response with prices and options. They use the Kinect 2.0 sensor with an Epson projector, and their largest box is about 67 x 51 inches.

If you build your own setup, you can purchase their software for $1k. The software runs under Windows 10 and looks pretty nice. It’d be great to be able to try it out somehow though.

-Steve

CanisiusPhysics
    Participant

The question now becomes if they used any of the code from this project and, if so, whether there are any copyright violations.

Shot
    Participant

Given that it runs under Windows 10 and utilizes a gaming engine, I suspect they’re using Microsoft’s framework for software development.

That said, the ARS software is licensed under the GNU GPL, and my [admittedly limited] understanding is that derivative works can be sold commercially as long as the source is made available and licensed in like manner.

-Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.