Error while querying serial number string

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Error while querying serial number string

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    engineeringstudents
    Participant

Hello,

I am a student and have been trying to build an AR sandbox with a group at my school. None of us are well versed in coding but have been following along with the uc davis instructions. We’ve been running into issues with calibration and just generally running rawkinectviewer. We got this error ” Error while querying serial number string ” when trying to run the following string in the terminal : ” RawKinectViewer -compress 0 ”
    Just wondering if anyone might know how to resolve this issue.

Thanks

mvmurphy
    Participant

You may get a reply if you provide all versions numbers of software: unix version/type, sandbox, vrui, etc

Thanks

Sean Robinson
    Participant

The specific error you report is from the Vrui library and means that it cannot read the Kinect (hardware) internal serial number.

@mvmurphy
    is correct. Can you provide more details, including Kinect (hardware) model, version numbers for Vrui, Kinect (library), and SARndbox, and Linux distribution?

engineeringstudents
    Participant

Kinect Model: 1414
    Vrui version: Vrui-5.2, build 001, release date 02/18/2020
    Kinect (library): We downloaded the vrui version for kinect 3.9, but I’m not sure how to figure out what the version actually is
    SARndbox: 2.7
    Linux version: Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (tunnels-mlk X55)
    Release: 18.04
    Codename: bionic

Thank you for help!

Sean Robinson
    Participant

Thank you, these details may get someone with a similar setup to help.

The Kinect 1414 is a good model for the AR Sandbox. What do you see if you run sudo /usr/local/bin/KinectUtil list? I am unable to post a sample of the output I see, the forum rejects my post when I include the line,

The only reliable way I know to get the Kinect (software) version number is from the library file name. Look for the file libKinect.g++-3.so.3.9, where the last two numbers are the version (here it’s 3.9).

After searching through the forum, I have a few ideas:

Try to use a USB 2.0 port, not a USB 3.x port. Oliver has a good post about finding your Kinect and determining the USB version of the port it is connected to.

Is your power supply (PS) USB adapter working well? I see reports from others that their Kinect is not receiveing enough power. When the Kinect is plugged into the PS and the PS plugged into the computer USB, you should see a green LED steadily blinking on the front of the camera.

It could be the Kinect itself, can you temporarily borrow another Kinect to try out?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.