Feature wish list

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Feature wish list

Tagged: 

This topic contains 52 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  hdwallpaper 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

2) I always liked the idea of being able to build known land forms say the Everest region.
    –> go to google earth in contour mode and run a difference between the measured sand box and desired contour shape then project a gradient to either add or subtract sand to different parts of the box. (Perhaps a little complex for a museum environment but ok for an older class room.)

That’s been in the AR Sandbox for a while now, https://youtu.be/nPba_9WzdjI?t=11m37s

See DEM Help and Terrian [sic] Model?

miker
    Participant

Hi,

Looking to build this for an upcoming space science center in Belgium, specifically for an exhibition on the Moon, so I have some questions/feature requests:

– is it possible to simulate the moon? Disabling water + adjusting colormap is the first thing that comes to mind, anything else possible to make it more realistic?
    – is it hard to interface with your software and take the height map in, and return an image to the software? Kind of an add-on which takes over the normal processing. I have some ideas 😉

clifcox
    Participant

Sorry for bumping an old thread. Is there a better place for feature requests? Once again thanks much for a wonderful project.

It would be nice if once the first pass in CalibrateProjector was completed and you were able to check things with the red cross hairs, that you could also manually pick new tie points with the mouse. We would use this feature to get better registration at the edges of the sandbox.

Best,
    Clif

Thanks so much for this demo

gregb
    Participant

Oliver,

First I want to thank you for your vision, time and dedication toward creating this complex suite of VR software. I built and brought a AR Sandbox to the Burning Man festival last year and it was a big hit. The most difficult part of the project was providing a dust free, climate controlled environment for the computer and projector – the temperatures exceeded 100F almost everyday so it was a challenge.

Perhaps this feature already exists and have not yet found it, but I would like to second one of the requests made up-thread – I would like to be able to create fixed local water sources and sinks to allow for continuously flowing water. Beyond making big volcanoes, the second most popular construction was that of dams and winding rivers. One’s arm can get pretty tired holding a hand out over fixed location to achieve this. Again, perhaps this feature already exists and I am just overlooking it. I spent enough time looking at the code to figure out that that I would need to learn quite a bit more about the underlying architecture to add the feature myself. My approach would involve adding or modifying the local water tool functionality to support key bindings to support placement of permanent source or sink at the current hand position. I would probably use the global water tool to erase any fixed local water placements.

Oh, the new water simulation mode is fantastic!

Thanks. -g.b.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  gregb.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

There isn’t a direct feature for continuous local rain in the AR Sandbox code. However, there’s a Vrui way to simulate it. The local rain tool, like all other tools, is bound to an input device, such as the mouse. Vrui lets the user create an arbitrary number of virtual input devices dynamically, and then bind tools to them as to any other device.

Basic steps:

1. Create a new virtual input device with two buttons by selecting “Vrui System” -> “Devices” -> “Create Two-Button Device” from the main menu. This creates a grey wireframe box with two small cubes above it and one small cube below in the middle of the screen.

2. Bind a tool to control virtual input devices to the mouse. Press an unused mouse button or key, and select “User Interface” -> “Input Device Driver” -> “Ray-Based Driver” from the tool menu. Press the same button or key again to confirm.

3. Now you can pick up and move the grey wireframe box by pointing at it with the mouse and holding the button/key to which you assigned the ray-based driver tool. You can toggle the virtual device’s button by selecting either of the two cubes above the box with the same button/key. A “pressed” button turns green. The first time you press a button, the tool selection menu pops up. Now move the virtual device to highlight “Manage Water Locally,” then toggle the virtual button off. Toggle the other virtual button on and off to assign the “drain” function.

4. Now move the virtual device anywhere over the terrain, and toggle on its first button. It will start raining until you toggle the button off again.

cliffnagy
    Participant

Regarding Sand. I started out with kinetic sand and it didn’t stick to our hands but it was harder to manipulate and wasn’t as bright on the colors. Next I started mixing in Sandtastik fine white sand and it worked better. Now I use a 3 to 1 ratio of regular to kinetic and it works great! Still doesn’t stick and better to work with!

hdwallpaper
    Participant

Are You Ready To Celebrate Happy New Year 2019 images Providing Best Happy New Year 2019 Wallpapers, Wishes, Quotes, Messages And More Happy New Year … HD wallpaper

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.