Full Screen Mode

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Full Screen Mode

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rickshaw 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

biw314
    Participant

I’ve the ARSandbox compiled and ready for calibration but I can’t seem to run in full screen mode. Anyone know how to do this in Ubuntu?

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

There are multiple ways to do it. First, you want to create a keyboard shortcut to toggle full-screen mode for any window. Go to the keyboard settings dialog, and select the “Shortcuts” tab (where this exactly is depends on the distro, but you’ll find it). Then, under “Windows” shortcuts, find “toggle fullscreen mode” (do not use “toggle maximization state”, that’s a different thing) and assign a key combination to it. I usually use Ctrl+Alt+F or Win+F, depending on the local keyboard.

Then, after starting the calibration program, press the assigned key combo to switch its window into fullscreen mode. Depending on your window manager, you might have to give keyboard focus to the calibration program’s window first. Either click into the window using the left mouse button, or press Alt+Tab to cycle focus through all open windows until the proper window is selected. Check that there is no border or decoration around the window at all, and that any panels or menu bars disappeared as well. Then run the calibration procedure as documented.

You need to run the sandbox application using the exact same window position and size you used during calibration, or it won’t match. You can either use your fullscreen shortcut to maximize the sandbox window manually after start-up, or you can make it permanent by modifying a configuration file.

Create a Vrui.cfg file in the directory from where you run the sandbox application, and put the following inside:

section Vrui
      section Desktop
        section Window
          windowFullscreen true
        endsection
      endsection
    endsection

Subsequently the sandbox application will start in fullscreen mode when started from the directory that contains this Vrui.cfg. To be able to start the sandbox from anywhere and still use the custom setting, add -mergeConfig <path>/Vrui.cfg to the command line, where <path> is the full directory path to the custom Vrui.cfg file, for example /home/user/SARndbox/etc. Actually, when using the -mergeConfig option, you can name your configuration file whatever you want, say SandboxFullscreen.cfg, and place it wherever you like.

Rickshaw
    Participant

Hi Oliver,
    Having our sandbox boot-up in fullscreen mode is the LAST item that I can’t get working.
    I’m running Mint Mate, and using SARndbox 1.5-001. I am a Linux newbie, so please go easy on me! 🙂

I’ve tried your Vrui.cfg file suggestion, but it doesn’t seem to work. (Even adding the “-mergeConfig” path in the command line.) It’s in the same directory as my SARndbox program file.

It’s possible I am not creating the Vrui.cfg file correctly. It shows up as a “TXT” icon in Mint GUI, as opposed to other Vrui.cfg files that show as an “ABC” icon. I’ve tried copying a different Vrui.cfg, and replacing that text with your code above, but it’s still not working for me.

It’s also possible that since I’m doing it through the Mint GUI, that it’s not the same as creating one from a command line. From the command line, can you explain how to “create” a Vrui.cfg file in my path, then edit it?

Is it possible that Mint Mate requires something different than your (>1 year old) code above?

Best regards,

– Rick
    San Diego, CA

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Add -vruiVerbose to SARNdbox’s command line. This will tell you which configuration files Vrui is trying to load on start-up. Make sure the one you made is among them.

Don’t worry about icons, but ensure that the name of the file is exactly the same as the one you specify after -mergeConfig. Do an $ ls on the directory where you saved the file, and check that everything matches. If there are spaces or other special characters in the file name, you need to enclose it in double quotes when giving it on the command line.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Creating a text file via terminal:

$ pluma <name of file>

pluma is Mate’s text editor, and <name of file> is the file name, with optional path. E.g.,

$ pluma Vrui.cfg

to create Vrui.cfg in the current directory, or

$ pluma ~/Vrui-3.1/etc/FullScreen.cfg

to create FullScreen.cfg inside Vrui’s default configuration directory.

If you quickly want to create a short file with only a few lines, you can use cat:

$ cat > <name of file>

The first “>” tells cat to write into the given file. Then just type one or more lines into the terminal, and press Ctrl+d to finish the file.

To display the contents of a (short) text file, use cat without the “>”, e.g.,

$ cat ~/Vrui-3.1/etc/FullScreen.cfg

To browse through longer files inside a terminal, use less instead of cat. Of course, you can always use pluma to look at files, but you run the danger of accidentally modifying the file.

maphew
    Participant

On Ubuntu 15 F11 works to go full screen mode for all the sandbox programs I’ve tried so far (RawKinectViewer, CalibrateProjector, ARSandbox). It’s the standard hotkey for Firefox etc. as well.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

As of Vrui-3.1-004, all Vrui applications enter/leave full-screen mode via Win+f. Window system-wide keyboard shortcuts still work as well, of course.

Rickshaw
    Participant

Thanks Oliver… I got it to work this evening. I was missing a “.” or a “~” at the top of my path.
    Again, Linux Newbie, so thank you!

– Rick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.