Glitch / freeze on Startup

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Glitch / freeze on Startup

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  tnordberg 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

djacobs
    Participant

Our sandbox has been up and running for a month or so now, and we occasionally get an odd glitch first thing in the morning. It looks like this:
    Startup glitch

This does not happen every time, maybe once a week or so, but not predictably.
    Moving the sand does not have any effect.
    The Kinect seems to be working, or at least has the flashing green LED that it usually has when working correctly.
    Quitting the SARndbox software and re-starting it always runs properly.
    The software starts automatically on boot via a simple script. I prefer that the facilitators do not have access to mouse / kb.
    Running the most recent versions of Kinect, SARndbox and Vrui.

Any ideas what the problem is? Come across this before?

Thanks,
    -Daniel

Shot
    Participant

The unpredictable nature of it suggests that it might be faulty hardware. I struggled with some occasional flaky behavior with our setup initially, but eventually, through the process of elimination, determined that the problem was a bad RAM module.

-Steve

Shot
    Participant

While replacing the RAM did fix the occasional freeze-ups while in use, we do sometimes experience an unresponsive issue on start-up. As you said, simply exiting and restarting the software fixes it. Once restarted, the software works fine all day long. Thinking it might be a “race condition” of some sort, I’ve tried adding delays in the start-up script in various places but have been unsuccessful in eliminating this occasional annoyance.

-Steve

liudr
    Participant

I have experienced this also. My setup is a Dell Inspiron 3668 with i3-7100 4GB and GTX 750 TI 2GB. I didn’t do an actual startup script but instead used the GUI feature of startup programs. It is a terrible GUI feature. There is no order which program runs first and next. I wrote a simple script to run that does a 30-second delay before running ARSandbox and added it to the GUI startup programs and it works. I don’t really like the solution. I’m more used to Debian where I run startup script after say auto login. I will look for ways to run ARSandbox after everything loads.

djacobs
    Participant

Thanks for your input liudr and Steve! I added a delay (sleep 45) to my startup script as you both mentioned, but the problem persists. Are there any likely candidates for race conditions (thanks for that phrase) that might be tripping up SARndbox? Perhaps the script could check or wait for them to be available, rather than just have a set timer.

This is pretty irritating, since the facilitators have to come get me every time there’s a problem.

Regards,
    -Daniel

liudr
    Participant

Daniel,

Could you please post the hardware in your setup?

djacobs
    Participant

Sure:
    CPU: Intel i5 7500
    GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX1060 3gb
    RAM: Avexir DDR4 2666 8gb
    MB: Asrock H270M

Thanks again for your help.

GrantWells
    Participant

It could be revealing to find out if the same issue occurs when the system has ( / has not) internet access – maybe an app checking for updates or some other unrequested ‘feature’ is keeping the system busy.

djacobs
    Participant

Hello Grant,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I don’t have a good way of getting the system online without taking the Sandbox off display – there’s no ethernet in the area, and the machine doesn’t have WiFi.

But since it is never online, we can probably rule out update checks. Since it was a fresh install of Mint, with only the SARndbox installed, there shouldn’t be unusual programs doing unusual things in any case.

If you think it’s important, I can probably buy a USB WiFi adapter to get the machine online and let it update.

Regards,
    -Daniel

GrantWells
    Participant

Hey Daniel, its just a suggestion – based on my complete lack of skill in scripts / linux in general – and simple tests. I’ve struck network timeouts causing a long delay in startups on windows machines so personally I’d beg/borrow/steal a wifi dongle for a few days and see if the problem changed. I’ve had a machine that hangs regularly when particular USB devices were left plugged in – sorry I don’t recall the resolution to that, maybe a different slot or bios default.

Also FWIW – I use a Logitech wireless keyboard trackpad combo that gets switched off and put away in the supervisors cupboard as the simple first line of defence, no cables and no mouse surface needed. Logitech because it uses the unified receiver which can be easily replaced.

rgds
    Grant

tnordberg
    Participant

Hi Daniel,

We are also seeing this issue 1-3 times a week during the morning startup. Restarting the application or computer fixes it. Has anyone had any luck finding a solution?

I’m wondering if there is a programmatic way to detect when the application sees this glitch and automatically restart.

Thanks
    – Trygve

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.