Hardware requirements

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Hardware requirements

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  mmcclain 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

rkeet
    Participant

We are in the processing of building a Sandbox for a new Children’s Museum in Santa Cruz, CA and wondering about the strictness of the need for a very high level graphics card (e.g. NVIDIA GTX 770) and the Intel i7 processor. That combination leads to a pretty expensive computer and wondering if anyone has found a lesser solution. Or if any of the gaming laptops would work?

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

The computing hardware requirements are not strict, per se. The AR Sandbox software runs fine on my vintage 2008 Macbook Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8600M) as long as there is little or no water (or water simulation is disabled entirely).

The problem is that the water simulation will run slow on low-end systems like that, which leads to noticeable and annoying choppyness when the water is agitated and moves quickly, even if only in some small areas. We found that GTX 770-level hardware is able to handle almost any circumstance without noticeable slow-downs.

The AR Sandbox is GPU-limited, meaning that the choice of main CPU is secondary. A lower-clock rate Core i7, or an i5, should cause no problems at all.

The water simulation method I implemented is conservative, meaning that it maintains physical accuracy at the expense of run-time. To be honest, that’s not an ideal choice for an application that requires interactive response and where accuracy is secondary to irrelevant, but that’s the way it is. An always-robust non-accurate simulation method like smooth particle hydrodynamics would be more appropriate, but that wouldn’t be usable for my other applications.

dlengton
    Participant

I’m posting on this topic because my question is hardware related.

In terms of the Kinect version that is supported by the AR Sandbox Application – from a related website it was mentioned that only version 1 Kinect hardware is supported – not version 2. Is this currently correct? I couldnt find any mention of this in this forum.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

The current version of the AR Sandbox software only supports first-generation Kinect devices.

architecturegeek
    Participant

Has anyone done any testing with an i3-4130 processor? How low can we go with the processor speed?

We’re about to embark on an installation and we’re hoping to use a compact pc for weight, but doing that seems to limit our CPU options at our price point.

blueklister
    Participant

I’m seeing lots of early Kinetics on sale, but many of them only have the USB cable and not the power supply. Does the Sandbox build require the power supply or does the USB cable shoulder that task?

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Old for-Xbox Kinects do not have a standard USB plug; they require the power adapter cable not only to draw power, but also to convert the plug to standard USB. You will need to check carefully what’s in the box. From day one, Kinect-for-Xbox devices sold in stores always had the power cable / USB adapter in the box.

GregWirth
    Participant

blueklister you will need the Kinetc PSU. The cable on the Kinect has a secondary connection to the PSU. One USB connection to the PC, and a non standard connection to the Kinect PSU.

mswilke
    Participant

I’m embarking on an AR Sandbox for DePauw University and for outreach in the local community schools. I have a Dell Pentium M laptop workstation (2.00 Ghz, 1 GB RAM) running Red Hat Linux 2.4.20-8. The computer has an NVIDIA Quadra FX Go1000 graphics card. Can this be used for running the software? I’ve got other software setup on the system, so I don’t really want to install MINT if I can use this system as is. Thanks, Scott

GregWirth
    Participant

I am using Kinect models 1414 and 1473 with Sandboxes.
    Are these both “first gen” types?

mswilke
    Participant

Can one use Mac OS X prior to 10.7 to run the system?

scruffyjoe
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve built the box, have the projector, kinect all working. But I don’t have the graphics power on my existing laptop which I knew anyway but it was useful to check the configuration of the kinect and projector. I’m going to invest in a laptop with a graphics card. Has anybody has any luck with (NVIDIA GeForce 820M 2GB) or (NVIDIA GeForce 840M 2GB). The seem reasonably priced. I thought about building a desktop but I would get more value out of a laptop for other projects and if I can get away with the 840M graphics card, it would be ideal.

Regards

mmcclain
    Participant

I’m also posting on this topic for a hardware related question. I’m having fitment issues with the CPU setup. I ordered a separate video card ( Geforce GTX 970 ) and 600 watt power supply ( Corsair CX600 ) for a off the shelf Dell GX 9020. Little did I know Dell is using a non standard power supply connector. This basically renders. Has anyone built a computer and added these two components to it to simplify the computer part of this project ? I’m trying to stay away from buying separate parts ( motherboard, cpu, ram, optical drive, case, etc ).

Thanks in advance.

GregWirth
    Participant

mmcclain
    Participant

Greg –

Thanks for confirming. I actually forgot about Dell community. Thanks for the reminder. I’ve already started looking into separate components for a one off build – for half the money.

Cheers !

– Mark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.