How to include a scale model building?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum How to include a scale model building?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    eLearner
    Participant

Hello Forum Members and Mr. Kreylos,

I would like to thank you and the members of this forum for all the great work you and the rest are doing here. I just finished my build and my art students are very excited. I would like to know if it would be possible to add a scale model house during calibration so that it may be included during simulations? Where could I find LiDAR data for a specific area? Is there a way to translate the LiDAR data into a physical 3D model? The goal in doing this would be to create a mold of a specific terrain. The mold could then be used to press the sand into it and hopefully recreate a target area’s terrain? Is any of this possible or perhaps I am being too ambitious? Again thank you!

cartoCoder
    Participant

I would go to http://www.opentopography.org/ for lidar data. You’ll want to download a DEM as a TIFF for your area of interest.
    Then open the TIFF in photoshop or similar and invert the image. Then add a 1 px border of black to the DEM. This will create the walls of the 3d model.
    Then create a new plane/relief object in a 3d modeling software and apply the DEM as a displacement map to the plane. This will extrude the plane into a 3d object.
    Cap the object and export as a STL file and send to your printer.

3d mold

sandbox after mold

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by cartoCoder.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.