I don't speak Linux – Can I do this?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum I don't speak Linux – Can I do this?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rickshaw 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Rickshaw
    Participant

I plan to build this project for my son’s middle-school.
    I am a Windows user. Tech-savvy, DOS literate, and can code HTML, but never worked with Linux.

Do I need to be well-versed in Linux and code to make this project, or can I learn as I go?

Thanks,

– Rick
    San Diego, CA

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

I’m the wrong person to answer this, but you should be fine. Installing Ubuntu Linux and the required graphics card drivers is very straightforward, and the sandbox software installation and setup instructions are very detailed. Use Vrui’s installation script instead of getting bogged down by that first step. As long as you’re not afraid of typing commands into a terminal, and follow the instructions, you’ll be OK.

There’s no coding involved. The worst you’ll have to do is copypaste a few numbers into a text file.

Rickshaw
    Participant

[UPDATE – 1 MONTH LATER]

Yes, I can!

I now have a working prototype, with rain & water simulation running on my garage workbench, and a white bath towel substituting for sand.

Disclaimer:
    I’ve spent close to 100 hours of long evenngs over the last month getting this to work. Some of those hours were completely baffling: Motherboard issues, Operating system installation hangups, power supply issues, a bad hard drive, learning Linux commands, and GPU driver issues.

I still don’t completely understand all the Linux commands I’m typing in, but I am getting a basic feel for it. (And also why Windows is a much more accessible OS!!)

So, thanks to everyone who has helped me during my effort, especially Oliver, who started this adventure.

It may not be for everyone, but I’m proof that Oliver’s videos and instructions, and this forum are good enough that it can be done by non-native Linux users.

– Rick
    San Diego, CA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.