installing to different location

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum installing to different location

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    maphew
    Participant

I’m trying to install SARndbox and dependencies to a single folder tree (in order to make backing it up a simpler task). However when started neither SARndbox and RawKinectViewer look in the INSTALLDIR location for the config file:

hello@sandbox:~$ ~/sandbox/bin/SARndbox
    Caught exception Misc::File: Error opening file /home/hello/Vrui-3.1/etc/Vrui.cfg in mode rt while reading system-wide configuration file

I expected it to look in /home/hello/sandbox/etc/Vrui-3.1

I installed by passing variables to make on the command line:

export INSTALLDIR=$HOME/sandbox 
    export VRUI_MAKEDIR=$HOME/sandbox/share/Vrui-3.1/make

cd ~/src/Vrui-3.1-004
    make INSTALLDIR=$INSTALLDIR
    make install INSTALLDIR=$INSTALLDIR

cd ~/src/Kinect-2.8-002
    make VRUI_MAKEDIR=$VRUI_MAKEDIR
    make install INSTALLDIR=$INSTALLDIR VRUI_MAKEDIR=$VRUI_MAKEDIR

cd ~/code/SARndbox
    make VRUI_MAKEDIR=$VRUI_MAKEDIR
    make install INSTALLDIR=$INSTALLDIR VRUI_MAKEDIR=$VRUI_MAKEDIR

Make reports the expected install location, /home/hello/sandbox instead of /home/hello and there are no compilation errors reported:

...snip...
    ---- Vrui installation configuration ----
    Root installation directory               : /home/hello/sandbox
    Header installation root directory        : /home/hello/sandbox/include
    Library installation root directory       : /home/hello/sandbox/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
    Executable installation directory         : /home/hello/sandbox/bin
    Plug-in installation root directory       : /home/hello/sandbox/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
    Configuration file installation directory : /home/hello/sandbox/etc/Vrui-3.1
    Shared file installation root directory   : /home/hello/sandbox/share/Vrui-3.1
    Makefile fragment installation directory  : /home/hello/sandbox/share/Vrui-3.1
    Build system installation directory       : /home/hello/sandbox/share/Vrui-3.1/make
    pkg-config metafile installation directory: /home/hello/sandbox/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig
    Documentation installation directory      : /home/hello/sandbox/share/doc/Vrui-3.1
    ---- End of Vrui configuration options ----
            ...snip...
    ---- Kinect installation configuration ----
    Root installation directory: /home/hello/sandbox
    Calibration data directory: /home/hello/sandbox/etc/Vrui-3.1/Kinect-2.8
    Resource data directory: /home/hello/sandbox/share/Vrui-3.1/Kinect-2.8
    Vislet plug-in directory: /home/hello/sandbox/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/VRVislets
    ---- End of Kinect configuration options: ----

Am I doing something wrong or is this just not really supported right now?

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

I just downloaded a new tarball of Vrui-3.1-004 into my ~/src directory, unpacked it, and ran this from a terminal:

cd /home/user/src/Vrui-3.1-004
    make INSTALLDIR=/home/user/Foo
    make INSTALLDIR=/home/user/Foo install

which installed into /home/user/Foo. I then built Vrui’s example programs:

cd ExamplePrograms
    make VRUI_MAKEDIR=/home/user/Foo/share/Vrui-3.1/make INSTALLDIR=/home/user/Foo
    make VRUI_MAKEDIR=/home/user/Foo/share/Vrui-3.1/make INSTALLDIR=/home/user/Foo install

which worked as well, and the example programs work and find their configuration files. I didn’t try SARndbox, but it would work as well.

Did you run make from a directory in which you had run make before, using a different installation directory? To do that, you first need to run make clean, so that all sources get rebuilt with the new installation directory.

maphew
    Participant

ahh, make clean and then doing it over again worked. Thank you!

maphew
    Participant

FWIW, Kinect and SARndbox makefiles don’t understand make clean.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

They do (I just tried both), but if you did the original install based on Vrui in a different location than the one at the top of their respective makefiles, you have to do
    make VRUI_MAKEDIR=<Vrui dir>/share/make clean

maphew
    Participant

oh, thanks. I’ve been passing variables on the command line instead of editing the makefiles because I want future upgrades to be easy. no worrying about migrating personal changes forward. I’m beginning to think I’ve just been making more work for myself!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.