Issues with water 'boundary' and flow

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Issues with water 'boundary' and flow

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    j.hickey
    Participant

Hello all,

I’ve searched the forums, but unfortunately can not find anything similar to the issue I am facing.

I have inherited the responsibility for a sandbox at my institution. It was using version 1.6 of the SARndbox software, and often had difficulties with calibration. I have now installed version 2.6 of SARndbox (as well as the newer VRUI and Kinect software).

When I run SARndbox 2.6 I get strange errors with the water. I can create rain, but as the rain flows to the south or east of the box, there is an artificial straight-line boundary where the water stops before reaching the edge of the sandbox. Also, using the default settings, there is VERY little rain produced – I have had to manually increase the rain amount using a flag when running the SARndbox command. I don’t understand why I would need to do this, as nothing has been altered.

So, in short, 2 problems:

1 – artificial water boundaries
    2 – not enough rain produced with default settings

FYI – when I run version 1.6 I get the same water boundary error, but no difficulty with producing enough rain.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

James

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

The water simulation is limited to the rectangle defined by the four box corners measured during calibration (and pasted into BoxLayout.txt). If you want a larger area, either re-measure the box corners, or edit the corner positions in BoxLayout.txt manually.

Between SARndbox versions 1.x and 2.x, the rain mechanism changed. In 2.x, you need to hold your hand flat and spread all five fingers. This will immediately trigger rain. You can then adjust the rain amount per second via SARndbox’s command line.

j.hickey
    Participant

Hi Oliver, thanks so much for the rapid reply. I will attempt those calibration steps (#8 and #9) once I find a big enough lid for our sandbox.

Our sandbox is relatively mobile, in that it gets broken down and transported to different events. Out of curiosity, is it necessary to repeat all calibration steps every time we set it back up (i.e., steps 7-11 from http://idav.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/SARndbox/SoftwareInstallation.html), or is a subset of these ok (e.g., just step 11)?

Cheers!

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Projector calibration (step 11) must be done after every move, as small changes in the camera’s or projector’s position can have large displacement effects.

Steps 7-10 are probably not necessary unless there is an obvious misalignment issue.

I generally due all steps (7-11) whenever I move our box. They only take me a few minutes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.