joystick for local tools, part 2

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum joystick for local tools, part 2

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  tuchwando 6 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

tuchwando
    Participant

Hi Oliver,

I am continuing quest for joystick control of local tools. I am able to create and bind a 2-Axis joystick (on the USB encoder suggested in this forum) to a virtual SixAxisTransform tool. I am reusing the axes for Z and rotation slots, then disabling unneeded actions using zero translate/rotate vectors in the config file.

I have two issues for which I hope you could provide some advice:

1) On my laptop, the glyph (eg. Cone, Cube, etc) renders fine. On my sandbox build machine, for some reason the glyph only is visible if there is a popup dialog box that appears for any reason on startup, and the glyph is only visible within the menu. It disappears if I move it off the menu. Running Mint 18.3 Mate, Vrui 4.5, Kinect 3.5, and SARndbox 2.5

2) The glyph is clamped to the default Z-plane (the same is true for the top of the blue local rain cylinder). When moving it in X and Y, it will disappear below hills that are tall enough. My ideal goal would be to have the glyph float a fixed distance above the surface – I’m guessing I’ll have to create a tool for that? As a temporary solution, I thought to use a Z value to be higher than default – I tried setting the SixAxisTransformTool “homePosition” value in the config file, but it gives an error. For example, adding the line “homePosition (0.0,0.0,10.0)” to my SixAxisTransformTool section gives the error
    “exception: Unable to convert (0.0,0.0,10.0) to geometry::OrthonormalTransformation due to unknown token”

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Patrick

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.