Kinect-3.2

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Kinect-3.2

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  techprolet 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

bubulle
    Participant

Hi !

I have just seen that a Kinect-3.2 software was available. It has experimental support for the second-generation Kinect-for-Xbox-One.

So, can we hope to use the new kinnect soon ?
    If yes, maybe it would change the videoprojecor i am going to buy. Indeed, the new kinnect has better resolution and a 16:9 format. But at the same time, the CPU/graphic card must be even better, am i right ?

Thank you !

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

You can use the Kinect v2 right now (SARndbox uses it automatically when it’s plugged in), but it doesn’t work very well yet.

The Kinect v2’s noise model is very different from the Kinect v1’s, and the existing filters have a hard time getting a decent stable surface out of it.

Also, the Kinect v2’s resolution is not necessarily higher. Its depth camera has 512×424 pixels compared to the Kinect v1’s 632×480. It’s the Kinect v2’s color camera that’s high-res and 16:9, but the color camera is not used in the sandbox.

It is true, howver, that Kinect v2 requires a better CPU. In Kinect v1, depth processing was done in the camera itself; in Kinect v2, depth processing is done on the host computer’s CPU.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Sorry, I have to take that back for the moment. There are minor issues with Kinect v2 support in Kinect-3.2. I’ve sorted most of those out for Kinect-3.3.

bubulle
    Participant

Ok, thank you.

So, i will go with the kinect V1.

techprolet
    Participant

So, any chance we see Kinect-3.3 anytime soon?
    I haven’t been able to get v2 running with 3.2

Thanx for your reply!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.