Kinect and projector same height?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Kinect and projector same height?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Oliver Kreylos 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

rhaupt
    Participant

We’re in the process of installing our final version of the AR sandbox exhibit. It’s been an absolute hit at our museum so we’re very excited for a more polished looking display.

My question is: do the kinect and the projector REALLY have to be at the same height to function properly? We’ve tested a setup with them at different heights and it seems to work OK but I’m wondering if there are other effects I’m not seeing that I should be aware of.

Thanks!

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

No, that’s merely a convenience and a suggestion. There are two things to look out for:

1. Your Kinect’s field of view should match the interior of the sandbox. You don’t want to waste any pixels by scanning the floor, and you don’t want to waste sandbox space by missing a few inches inside. Use RawKinectViewer to align the Kinect, and then lock it in place.
    2. Your projector should do the same, ideally project exactly onto the interior of the sandbox. If you have a zoom lens, set it to a medium zoom level for optimal image quality. Align the projector by displaying anything on the screen, or use the calibration pattern provided by Vrui’s XBackground utility, and then lock it in place.

If those two are taken care of, where exactly your Kinect and projector end up doesn’t matter.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.