Kinect not detected by RawKinectViewer

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Kinect not detected by RawKinectViewer

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mikesmith32 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jhon
    Participant

Hi,

I’m running into the following exception when trying to start RawKinectViewer (as step 6 of the tutorial) :
    Caught exception Kinect::Camera::Camera: Less than 0 Kinect camera devices detected

Note that when I first tried step 5 (intrisic calibration), it gave a similar error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
      what():  Kinect::Camera::Camera: Less than 0 Kinect camera devices detected
    Aborted

But I just had plugged the Kinect in so I figured maybe I went too fast, waited (and plugged in the AC adaptor end of the usb adaptor as well, just in case it was required), retried the command and it worked.
    Now I’m at step 6 and it won’t detect the Kinect… I wondered if I had to mount it or something, but since KinectUtil worked, I’m guessing no mount is required.

I searched the forum, but apparently nobody had this issue before?

Setup:
    – Linux Mint 17.1 (native)
    – usb 2.0 (on a laptop, so no other usb bus available)
    – Kinect for Xbox, v1, connected to laptop via usb adaptor

RodgerHoll
    Participant

not an expert here, learning myself…

The only time I have seen this is when the kinect is not powered up or connected completely.

When you power everything up, do you have a green light on the front of the kinect? I have the xbox 360 version and the AC adapter. It has a green flashing light on the front when it is powered up correctly.

I do believe the ac adapter is required for the sensor to work on PC’s not just to adapt the usb types, but to provide power as well.

Jhon
    Participant

Hi Rodger,

Indeed there’s a flashing light on the Kinect, even if only the USB adapter is plugged in. I also tried to plug it into the desktop (running Windows 7), it was properly detected and installed without the AC part. So wasn’t sure if the AC adapter was really required, thanks for confirming that! 🙂

Kr,

Jhon

ninjaneerstudios
    Participant

Hey Jhon,

We were getting this MSG when trying to get our Kinect to work (model: 1414):

terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::runtime_error’
    what(): Kinect::Camera::Camera: Less than 0 Kinect camera devices detected
    Aborted

The light on the Kinect was blinking sporadically and would go off. The solution that worked for us was to go buy a PCI Express USB 3.0 Card that is also powered from your PSU. The problem is that your normal USB ports and the XBOX Kinect AC Adapter are not enough power. After this, VRui detects the kinect every time. We tried several more kinect’s just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.

I will list our setup below:

CPU: i7 Hasswell
    GPU: 970 GTX CeForce Nvidia
    PSU: 750W
    HDD: 120gig SSD
    RAM: 8 gig
    MB: Asus Sabertooth z87 Motherboard
    OS: Linux Mint with Mate (with all updates) I believe the new one is 17.2 codename Rafaela
    USB 3.0 PCI Express Cars that can also be powered by the PSU
    Xbox Kinect: Model# 1414

The card we bought is this one Insignia PCI Express USB 3.0 Card

Here is the link to copy and paste if the one above doesn’t work ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-port-usb-3-0-pci-express-interface-card-silver/5621006.p?id=1219144863553&skuId=5621006 ). We got it from Best Buy. If you look at the picture of the card, at the back of the card you’ll see where the power connector will plug in. It’s the same type of power plug that is/was used for the old floppy drives. The power connector should come in the box.

If you’re getting the same error msg as above, this should fix your issue. The green light on the front needs to be a constant, steady, green blinking light not a sporadic one that comes and goes. When we would type in the command to locate all connected USB devices, it would find only the Kinect motor, then motor and camera, then none and kept doing this until we installed this card. We had it running for more than 10min to make sure it didn’t drop out.

I think it needs 700mA or more, but don’t quote me.

Hope this helps, it did for us.

Joe R
    Director
    Ninjaneer Studios

mikesmith32
    Participant

Hello,

I am using the adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S7GA46/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00JVI6BVY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WRV754BKA4K863SC3R7) and I have concluded that it is not providing enough power to my Kinect. The green light on the Kinect is blinking sporadically and I get random outputs of the motor, audio, and camera when using the “lsusb” command.

I understand the solution of using a USB 3.0 PCI Express Card but for mobility I’m using the Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case. It supports only Mini ITX motherboard which have only one PCI-E X16 slot. My graphics card takes up the only slot and I cannot afford to purchase a new case and motherboard, so I need a different solution.

Is there any way I can get more power to the Kinect through the Power Supply AC Cable Adapter? Could I possibly rewire or modify the circuitry to provide more power? I am open to any ideas or solutions you guys can think of.

Power Supply – CS450M
    Graphics Card – GeForce GTX 750Ti
    CPU – Intel Pentium G3258 LGA1150 socket
    Motherboard – ASrock H81M-ITX
    Kinect Model – 1414

Thank you for the help,
    Mike

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.