Kinect options

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Kinect options

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mnh1747
    Participant

Hi everyone,

At our site, we’ve been using a couple of refurbished kinects to run the sandbox for the last few years. We’ve had some trouble with the kinect not connecting properly. Is there a kinect that is best to use? And where do you purchase your kinects?

Thanks!
    Liz

Sean Robinson
    Participant

Welcome, Liz.

As far as I know, the AR Sandbox software only works with V1 and V2 Kinects; both have been discontinued. Our three Kinect have all been donations, so I have not had to try to source any for purchase.

The good news is that it appears the latest version of the sandbox software suite works better with Kinect V2 than previous suite versions. Which means we may only have to acquire 4-5 year old devices.

Someone in the forum mentioned working on Kinect V3 for the AS Sandbox, but there have not been any annoucements that it is working.

In my development setup, I have seen transitory problems that seem to be related to the Kinect not being “warmed up”. If I start SARndbox or RawKinectViewer right after plugging in the USB, the IR camera may not show an image. But restarting the software usually corrects things. If I wait about a minute after plugging in the USB before starting the sotfware, it works correctly the first time.

On our sandbox, I have not had a problem with the Kinect. I suspect it is because the camera powers on with the computer, but booting and starting SARndbox takes almost four minutes; plenty of time for the camera to “warm up”.

Can you describe the “some trouble with the kinect not connecting properly”?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.