KinectUtil not finding my Kinect

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum KinectUtil not finding my Kinect

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Oliver Kreylos 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Rickshaw
    Participant

The title says it all: ./bin/KinectUtil list doesn’t find my Kinect. it returns nothing, just another command prompt.

I have a USB adapter and power supply that I bought on eBay. I’m assuming it works because:
    1. The Kinect light is flashing green
    2. sudo lsusb returns: Bus 001 Device 008: ID 045e:02b0 Microsoft Corp. Xbox NUI Motor

I’m trying this with Linux Mint, but I’m not opposed to switching to straight Ubuntu per the new “Complete Installation Instructions”

Can anyone offer troubleshooting advice before I do?

Thanks,

– Rick

Rickshaw
    Participant

I should add that I have a first-generation 1414 Kinect, and I am running Kinect 2.8.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

When you plug in your Kinect, lsusb should display the following new devices:

Bus 003 Device 005: ID 045e:02ad Microsoft Corp. Xbox NUI Audio
    Bus 003 Device 006: ID 045e:02ae Microsoft Corp. Xbox NUI Camera
    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 045e:02b0 Microsoft Corp. Xbox NUI Motor

Xbox NUI Camera is the actual camera (that’s the device KinectUtil tries to open), Xbox NUI Audio is the built-in microphone array, and Xbox NUI Motor is the little motor that can tilt the Kinect up or down.

If you’re only seeing the Xbox NUI Motor device, then either your Kinect is broken, or there is something wrong with the cable connecting it to your computer, or with your computer’s USB ports. Can you confirm that you are not seeing the Xbox NUI Camera device?

You can also try plugging the Kinect into different USB ports on your computer and see if that makes a difference. As USB devices go, the Kinect is relatively demanding, and often shows flaws in a USB system that otherwise go unnoticed.

Rickshaw
    Participant

Well Oliver, that was a HUGE revelation. It works now – because the power supply that came with the USB adapter wasn’t making contact with my AC-plug.

A little tweaking of the blades on the plug now supplies power to the Kinect, and it works.

THANK YOU!!!

…Now onto the calibration.

– Rick

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Glad it wasn’t anything serious.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.