Laptop or destop?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Laptop or destop?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    EllaMonte
    Participant

We are currently building our 3rd sandbox. Our previous 2 boxes used desktop gaming computers and have worked very well. I would REALLY like to use a gaming laptop for our newest. We bring them into schools for a number of environmental education programs. We set them up & take them down a lot, and I am sick of lugging towers, and keyboards, etc

I am looking for feedback from anyone using laptops…are they staying cool, keeping up to the graphics needs, and with only USB 3.0 ports…have you had camera compatibility issues. On our desktop computers, we need to use the 2.0 USB ports for the Kinect, we had issues when plugged into the USB 3.0 ports.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

I’ve seen a few laptop-based AR Sandboxes, and they all had severe performance issues. Most importantly, the water simulation ends up being unacceptably sluggish and laggy.

Results might be better with an expensive high-end gaming laptop, but I haven’t seen those in person.

BWCVT-nerd
    Participant

We use a laptop for a demo model and it seems ok, but we used a pretty expensive Razer for it.
    I’d recommend the desktop route, even if for no other reason ease of maintenance or replacement of parts is a lot easier.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.