Lava

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Lava

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    felixjay
    Participant

Anybody program their own lava flow or have ideas on where to start? We built one here in Hawaii and volcanoes happen so visualizing it would be pretty awesome. Mahalo.

Zoyx
    Participant

I haven’t done this yet, but here is a post about converting from water to lava

http://lakeviz.org/forums/topic/water-to-lava/#post-720

felixjay
    Participant

Yes, saw this post and it helped to change the color but I was hoping somebody played with the physics to get the similar characteristics as lava. Slow at the front but fast from the source, doesnt have to be that complicated, I suppose its asking too much. Maybe the solution would just be to alter the animation to slow down the flow. Mahalo again.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

I haven’t tried this, but you could slow down the water simulation by passing -ws <speed factor> 30 on SARndbox’s command line. <speed factor> is a multiplier with 1.0 being normal speed. A small number, such as -ws 0.1 30 might make the fluid behave lava-ish. Some experimentation would be required to find the best-feeling speed factor.

INTPTT
    Participant

We were playing with the -ws option and found it seemed to break everything else we had in terms of fluid. For example, it looked fantastic with our snow shader… but then we couldn’t switch back to water or lava. If that ever finally worked, then wouldn’t everything be slower (or whatever is defined by -ws)? Or is there a way to load it custom when switching between shaders? It seems there isn’t since the sandbox would have to be reloaded to change the variable.

Please tell me I’m wrong! Loved the way the -ws variable made the snow look like it was sheeting off instead of fluid.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Please see Minor Software Update. I added a graphical user interface to control fluid behavior, and the water attenuation slider makes for maybe not physically accurate, but visually compelling lava at higher settings (around 0.95-0.99).

Getting the exact behavior you want would require relatively big changes to expose bedding friction in the simulation. I can’t do that right now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.