libusbx and USB nodes

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum libusbx and USB nodes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dennis 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

dramaticscience
    Participant

I am attempting to set up a brand new system (14.04 ubuntu) w/o being web connected. So far I have been able to transfer the .tar files, and install things, and (for a user completely new to the linux environment) even troubleshoot the make file scripts when errors occur.

I have run into one that I can’t make sense of; running the .bin/KinectUtil list command yields a “Permission denied” error in so far as libusbx requires write access to the USB device nodes.

I know what those things ARE but I have no idea how to begin dealing with it.

Question 1: Should I bother trying to continue setting things up without being connected? Or am I making things way too difficult for myself.

Question 2: I’ve run the optional installudevrule successfully; is there something else I need to be doing to be able to list the devices on my system? I assume that I’m doing this so I can get the <camera index>?

Any help would be appreciated. All the best.

TC

dramaticscience
    Participant

Sometimes I amaze even myself. After encountering the error and systematically moving through the options restarting the system rectified the error without any further programming required. I’m sorry to have bothered you all with this before I was completely finished trying out (the obvious).

TC

Oliver Kreylos

The device manager rule file that’s installed by make installudevrule is only applied when new USB devices are plugged into the system, or the system is rebooted. Meaning, it will not affect the USB device nodes of a Kinect that’s already plugged in.

There are three alternative methods to activate the rules:

1. Unplug the Kinect from its USB port, wait five seconds, and plug it back in.

2. Restart the device manager by running the following two commands from a terminal:

$ sudo udevadm control --reload
    $ sudo udevadm trigger --action=change

3. Reboot the computer.

dramaticscience
    Participant

to the point and informative. Thanks @ok that answer makes sense of it. on to the next step!

Dennis
    Participant

Hi there,

it’s nice to read that you solved your problem with the permissions. Unfortunately I haven’t been that successful. Even a restart of the machine (Ubuntu 14.04.01 TLS) did not let me use tools like KinectUtil without sudo.

I have installing the udevrule via make of course.

I use a Kinect for Windows (1517) and also tried to read (or understand) the udev rules and I was wondering, if the productId in the rules have to fit one of the device ids that were mentioned in the sys-log, when I connect the camera.
    I have tried it with a new line in the rules and the productId of the cam, but without success, also.

Does anyone have another hint?

Thanks so far.

Greetings,
    Dennis

Oliver Kreylos

The udev rule file distributed with the Kinect-2.8 package only has rules for the original Kinect-for-Xbox (model number 1414). I added detailed instructions for newer Kinects to the Kinect download page.

Dennis
    Participant

Oh, thanks Oliver. Haven’t seen this on the project page. Now I can connect to the cam without sudo.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.