Linux install issue – double check hardware and Linux compatibility

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Linux install issue – double check hardware and Linux compatibility

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    smitty
    Participant

Just wanted to share an issue I ran into while attempting to install Linux—

Tried installing Linux on an Asus G11 with a GeForce 970 and an Intel i5. Not 100% sure of the motherboard model as I haven’t taken it apart yet). In attempting to install Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 and Mint 18.2) via USB, the Linux install menu would appear after restart and boot, an option would be chosen, and then nothing – blank screen, no HD activity, no USB activity, had to do a hard reset (fast boot disabled, all UEFI/Legacy settings appeared correct). USB sticks were fine, as install would run on my older tower. After googling around and trying different things, I had a friend in IT take a look and it appears the motherboard/BIOS may be the issue (PCI errors apparently) so we’ll be replacing that with something that’s known to be Linux compatible.

I’ve been a casual user of Linux and have never run into something like this, though I also haven’t bought a brand new PC in 3 or 4 years (just a Chromebook, and Gallium makes it alot more useful). Just wanted to put this out there as a warning for those looking to build a sandbox to find verification that the PC you want can run Linux because this has sure been a headache, and a possible waste of resources if you don’t have readily available/accessible IT support.

smitty
    Participant

Ubuntu install successful, bought a MSI Mortar and swapped it out with the stock Asus motherboard, the Asus motherboard appears to be H110-I/G11CD/DP_MB.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.