linux noob with nvidia-375 issues

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum linux noob with nvidia-375 issues

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  acsomerville 5 days, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

acsomerville
    Participant

Hello all,

I am running the AR Sandbox software on the following hardware:

iBUYPOWER – Desktop
    Intel Core i7
    16GB Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
    120GB Solid State Drive + 1TB Hard Drive

I downloaded and installed latest Linux distribution:

LinuxMint 18.1 Serena

and am currently running the driver:

nvidia-375
    Version 375.66-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

The problem in question is that I am receiving the following error when trying to run the “./bin/SARndbox -uhm -fpv -ws -wts 200 150” command:

Caught exception GLContext: GLX extension not supported on display :0 while initializing rendering window 0
    Caught exception Vrui::startDisplay: Could not create all rendering windows while initializing rendering windows

After researching other forum replies I found this to be a common issue among the other builders with not much success in finding the golden answer in the replies. So I switched it up and reverted back to the default driver:

xserver-xorg-video-.nouveau
    Version 1:1.0.13+git20170208.1516d35b-0ubuntu0ricotz~xenial

And wouldn’t you know it (after much calibration) the topography map worked! but there was a major issue with the water generator and rainmaker tools. They were not working…

From what my colleague and I concluded we were using the incorrect driver for the program to work correctly. My following questions are:

-Should we resort back to the original nvidia-331 driver in the video?
    -Will the rainmaker/water programs work on the latest version of nvidia drivers?
    -Besides the -uhm, -fpv, -ws, -wts <width> <height>, -rer <min elevation> <max elevation> commands are there any other commands for the program we could enter?
    -Is there a default hand height calibration like there was for the base plane elevation?

If anyone is having the same issues or knows of any fixes for the hardware/software issues I’ve posted please let me know.

I wish you all the best luck in your builds.

All the Best,

acsomerville

jonc310
    Participant

Use the step by step instructions here http://arsandbox.ucdavis.edu/forums/topic/complete-installation-instructions/. I did this last week on a core duo machine and a Geforce GTX 750 with no issues. Make sure you are also using linux mint mate edition.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  jonc310.

acsomerville
    Participant

jonc310 will Serena not work for the sandbox?

jonc310
    Participant

I am running AR sandbox using Linux Mint Serena with mate desktop. Before installing the sandbox software I set video driver to nvidia driver not the default linux driver. Seems like all your computer specs are what they should be.

acsomerville
    Participant

I am still receiving the same exception even when I’m using the recommended NVIDIA-<Version>:

Caught exception GLContext: GLX extension not supported on display :0 while initializing rendering window 0
    Caught exception Vrui::startDisplay: Could not create all rendering windows while initializing rendering windows

Oliver mentioned in one of his posts that a computer may be using Optimus technology to switch between GeForce graphics cards and Intel Core CPU graphics. Is anyone familiar with the bumblebee adapter for linux?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.