looking for a replecment cheap sand

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum looking for a replecment cheap sand

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  cleverescoo 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

fahad
    Participant

Hello

i would like to ask if there is any sand that can replace the recommended one , i would like to know what are the properties of the sand i should be looking for as am having trouble finding ( sandtastik sand )

Thank you

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

The sand should be light and of a neutral color, i.e., light gray or white, to achieve a bright projection with high contrast. Other than that, there are no technical requirements. Other light-colored granular materials, for example paper pulp, work as well.

From a health perspective, inhaling quartz dust is a health risk. The recommended Sandtastik sand is feldspar, not quartz.

ChrisVeale
    Participant

in NZ we also have issues getting the sand, its too expensive for shipping.

I just used a light bunker sand sponsored from my local golf course. It is not ideal, but if you spray it periodically for some better binding you can still get pretty good results from it. It lacks the strength to build wall type structures though.

I have also investigated “make your own” and if you google this, there are things you can do to achieve the same results, the hard part is getting it white for a decent projection.

I also heard (though have not investigated) if you have a local foundry (metal works) the same properties are in the molding sand they use, so may be able to appropriate from there?

hope this helps

cmeans
    Participant

Heavy White Plastic Pellets

I wonder if any one has tried plastic pellets.

joys
    Participant

heavy white plastic pellets is good alternative, you can try or you can make your own

jaxpak
    Participant

I thought quartz dust in high amounts/consistent exposure was dangerous?

Don’t most of the worlds beaches contain quartz?

clevermosaics
    Participant

Yes, you are right. Clever Mosaics

sand washing plant
    Participant

i have the machine tha washing the sand and provide a perfect sand for the requirement[sand washing machine]

cleverescoo
    Participant

Yes, this method is very good.Gas

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  cleverescoo.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.