Modification of the current software

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Modification of the current software

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cruss54 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

SudoQ
    Participant

Hi!
    I just got a working installation and it works great.

The thing I am wondering is how difficult it is to modify the current software?
    I would like the render vegetation around the generated water but after an initial research I found it harder than I first thought. Do you have any suggestions for how I should approach this? I have just started learning OpenGL and Vrui so I have some but limited knowledge of the used technologies.

Cheers!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  SudoQ.

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

This is trickier than it appears because water data only lives on the graphics card, not in CPU-accessible main memory where you would need it to run simulations. You can download the current water state grid after it’s being updated in the display method, which is line 934 in Sandbox.cpp. Use WaterTable2::bindQuantityTexture to bind the water texture to the active texture unit, and then use glGetTexImage with a texture target of GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB, an RGB format, and a floating-point data type. The first texture component will be water surface level (not water height above ground), and the second and third are horizontal and vertical flux.

cruss54
    Participant

Similarly, I’m planning on modifying the software. My wife is using the sandbox for her thesis project and wants to use it to represent runoff coming off of farms and contaminating water. Like the deadzones in the Gulf of Mexico. We’d like to be able to make the software render flat areas at certain elevations as farms, but like SudoQ, I’m not sure where to start. Any tips to get me started?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.