Motion sensor for the projector turning off/on?

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum Motion sensor for the projector turning off/on?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  coffeeCat 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

coffeeCat
    Participant

Hello,

I have a BenQ MX630IST projector for our AR Sandbox, and right now we turn it on and off at the start and end of the day. To conserve projector bulb life, it may be better to use some sort of motion sensor or timer. I wanted to see if anyone else has done something similar or has advice?

GrantWells
    Participant

Hi, a while ago I roughed up an arduino with IR motion sensor mounted near the projector (epson). I used the arduino to capture the IR codes, Then had a routine that would send the power down code when a timer timed out, unless it had recently received a IR sensor trigger event. Note that one issue is to ensure there are separate power on, and power off, codes otherwise they will inevitably be accidentally swapped.

From memory the workaround was to use the input selector code as the wake up / proxy for power on command. If the projector was off then sending the AV1 input command would wake it up and select the right input, whereas if it was already on, then sending that command will cause it to only reselect the correct input, so one command covers both power conditions correctly. The routine doesn’t check for triggering again until the timer expires to avoid constantly sending wakeup commands.

I also included hardwired buttons for wake and sleep on the button panel that initiated sending the IR code to the projector – just to cover all options.

This wasn’t on a Benq projector and sorry it was too long ago for the specifics off the top of my head, however I’m about to climb back into this so will make a post when its reliable…

rgds
    Grant

mishafarms
    Participant

Why not use the data from the Kinect. There should be very little variation when no one is playing. otherwise you would expect to see changes in the frames. You can look for how long has it been since the last
    big change and if it has been longer then X then turn off the projector. (maybe if you go to screen saver it will turn off the projector, no extra HW needed.). Then when the frames show major change for
    Y time, then turn the projector back on.

Michael

coffeeCat
    Participant

“Why not use the data from the Kinect. There should be very little variation when no one is playing. otherwise you would expect to see changes in the frames. You can look for how long has it been since the last
    big change and if it has been longer then X then turn off the projector. (maybe if you go to screen saver it will turn off the projector, no extra HW needed.). Then when the frames show major change for
    Y time, then turn the projector back on.”

This is a cool idea and makes sense to me, and would have the benefit of not needing any extra tools or $$$ to implement.

However, I have no idea how I would go about implementing it 🙂 Do you have advice on how to go about this?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.