My AR Sandbox Complete Project Overview – PDF

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum My AR Sandbox Complete Project Overview – PDF

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rickshaw
    Participant

AR Sandbox Project Overview, 2015

The link above is to my 11-page, photographed experience of building an AR Sandbox for an elementary school. It’s a general overview, rather than an instruction set. I’ve left out most of the details about Linux setup and troubleshooting command lines. I’m hoping it will guide future builders towards realistic solutions, and away from common issues (and mistakes!) that we’ve all encountered.

In the PDF you’ll find:

• The basic parts and my costs (Summer, 2015).
    • How I engaged grade-school kids when building the sandbox.
    • A plan for making the table.
    • Tips about prototyping with existing hardware, before buying expensive stuff.
    • My own experiences and challenges during the process, and how I got past them.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert with Linux. I followed Oliver’s videos, read the README files, and asked questions on this forum when I got stuck… But I finished the Sandbox, and the kids are actively using it.

– Rick
    San Diego, CA

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Rickshaw.
    billberet
    Participant

nice job with your box, I’m working on doing the ‘mirror’ method myself.
    makes adjusting the image over the box easier. I also got rid of my initial button configuration ‘you have the image in your pdf’ and I opted for a cheap usb 6 button keyfob.

let me tell you it works great, and it’s cheap, and you get 6 buttons.
    so you can swap shaders, water, lava, snow, etc…. it’s a cheap upgrade and it makes a world of difference when your lake becomes a lava pit.
    here is the one I used

overall, great job with your kids!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by billberet.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by billberet.
    TCTitan
    Participant

Rick,

I am actually working on a AR Box based off your ideas.

My carpenter buddy asked me to reach out to you with a couple of specific questions about what you built.

What lumber did you use for the box itself?

How did you secure the plywood to your base? Did you use nails or screws? or did you just use a glue?

Thanks for the advice. Your guide has been a fantastic help through the planning process!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.