No detection of the hand for rain

Home Forums AR Sandbox Forum No detection of the hand for rain

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ejobinda 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

pold
    Participant

Hello all,
    I’m finallizing my AR Sandbox. After calibration, it’s running good with my laptop Asus FX503 (NVidia GTX106 graphic CArd & core i7).
    I’ve just a little problem with rain yet.
    Water works well with a configurated key (global rain or local rain, it works well), but my hand is not recognized …
    If I add the flag -rer with min and max dimensions, this does not change nothing.
    If someone can help me, it would be very cool !!
    Thank you in advance !

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

Are you making the “rain gesture” — hand flat, palm down, all five fingers spread?

pold
    Participant

Hi Oliver,
    thank you for your response. Yes, sure, I’m making the “rain gesture” ! Just one time I’ve seen some rain on my index finger. I’ve tried different heights, but nothing more…
    In the routine of the animation, we work with buttons for global and local rain, but if we had the rain that would be the cherry on the cake !
    Thank you for your help and for this wonderful tool. We’ll sand you soon some pictures of our mobile sandbox in a flightcase !

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

This may sound silly, but give it a try. Cut a hand shape out of a piece of cardboard, glue it to a stick, and hold it flat underneath the camera, some height above the sand. See if that works.

ejobinda
    Participant

Hello,

I am having the same rain cloud issue! I have been running SARndbox-1.6 for sometime now and chose to update to SARndbox-2.5, Vrui-4.5, and Kinect-3.5 just last week. While the forming rain clouds with a hand worked perfectly with the older software (SARndbox-1.6, Vrui-3.1, Kinect-3.5), I cannot get the same feature to work properly in the updated version. I am able to manual use the Local Water Tool but rain clouds with a hand or other device to mimic a hand does not work. All other features seem to work.

I have tried adjusting settings with -rer, running without the default bindings with the GlobalWaterTool established for Mouse 1 and 2, increasing and decreasing -ws values from 0.25, and initiating the LocalWaterTool and then trying rain clouds with a hand. Every so often if I have held my hand for an extended period of time over the box, water will appear in areas near where I was attempting to make it rain. When that is the case, it always appears in small amounts and I am not able to add to it. Furthermore, since updating I have been able to use the rain cloud feature if running the older version.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Steph Thompson
    Participant

I had the same issue as pold and yes I did indeed think that this sounded silly but amazingly it did actually make a difference. Not totally sure where to go with it from here though…

Oliver Kreylos
    Keymaster

SARndbox versions post 2.0 use an explicit hand shape detector for rain, as opposed to pre-2.0 versions that just looked for anything inside the configured rain elevation range. The hand detector explicitly looks for five fingers. The Kinect has trouble seeing shiny things, so if you wear large rings or other jewelry it might not detect your hands.

Also, are you using a Kinect-for-Xbox-360 or a Kinect-for-Xbox-One? The latter isn’t well-tested and might require different parameters for hand detection.

ejobinda
    Participant

Thank you for this clarification–the specific hand shape was the issue!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.